ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: wireless control  (Read 3950 times)

110dbmichael

wireless control
« on: October 29, 2004, 02:54:52 PM »

any one have an idea as to what the Lake system use for remote control?

let me tell you what I am looking at...

I use a DM2000 and the computer control is via USB connection I use a tablet PC (which is super handy for certain adjustments) and would like to figure out how I can walk the room with my puter and control the console... thought it to be handy especiall considering I am mixing this series of concerts in 5.1 surround (yes speaker stacks in the rear) and to check and adjust from different positions would be nice.

I had one friend tell me a blue tooth USB interface might be the way to go but from what I can tell that has distance limitations... any ideas???

Michael
live concerts in 5.1 surround is fun!!!

Brad Irving

• http://www.prosoundmixer.com
Re: wireless control
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 02:00:46 AM »

Quote:

any one have an idea as to what the Lake system use for remote control?

The Lake system is using WiFi to communicate, the lake system uses Cat5 and 50Ohm Connectors to links the units together. I don't remember the company but someone has a wireless wifi system that works with the PM1D thur serial port.

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 11:19:08 AM »

ProSoundMixer wrote on Sat, 30 October 2004 02:00

The Lake system is using WiFi to communicate, the lake system uses Cat5 and 50Ohm Connectors to links the units together. I don't remember the company but someone has a wireless wifi system that works with the PM1D thur serial port.
I believe the PRAM Technologies WSL-1 wireless serial link will work with a PM1D. I know Henry had a PM1D engine in the shop for a while in order to work out the kinks, I assume he was successful. The WSL-1 will work with pretty much any device that uses RS-232, or RS-485 for control.

Mac

Brad Irving

• http://www.prosoundmixer.com
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 01:33:21 PM »

MacKerr Wrote
Quote:

PRAM Technologies WSL-1 wireless serial link will work with a PM1D

Yes, that is what the unit was called and it did work in our shop also. I havn't heard of anyone using it at a live show, YET.

Juan Turro

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 11:18:57 AM »

Yes, the PRAM has been used in live application many times.  I cane name one company, ATK, that has done so but I have also have seen it used by other with a PM1D.

We have a PRAM unit and it works very well in various applications.  We generally use it to tweak Soundwebs driving the PA.

Speaking with Henry at PRAM he mentioned that it took some tweaking to get the PRAM unit to talk with a PM1D reliably as there were some synchronization/timing issues that needed to be right.

Juan
Juan Turro
AVS Production Group
New York , NY
[email protected]

Phillip_Graham

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 11:24:33 AM »

JT44 wrote on Sun, 31 October 2004 11:18

Yes, the PRAM has been used in live application many times.  I cane name one company, ATK, that has done so but I have also have seen it used by other with a PM1D.

We have a PRAM unit and it works very well in various applications.  We generally use it to tweak Soundwebs driving the PA.

Speaking with Henry at PRAM he mentioned that it took some tweaking to get the PRAM unit to talk with a PM1D reliably as there were some synchronization/timing issues that needed to be right.

Juan

What type of functionality on the PM1d were they accessing through the PRAM?

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 11:45:33 AM »

I can't speak for ATK, but you could control anything that is available in PM1D Editor.

Mac

Juan Turro

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 12:27:53 PM »

The link allowed PM1D editor to talk to the console as if it were connected by a cable.  As far as I am aware all the functions of the Yamaha software were available.  The applications I am most aware of is using the PM1D as a monitor desk and allowing the operator walk out to the stage monitors and dial in the mix including EQ.  A tablet style PC is typically used.

Juan
Juan Turro
AVS Production Group
New York , NY
[email protected]

Josh Evans

• http://www.youtube.com/jevans111
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 05:38:04 PM »

I think there is a big difference between controling a PM1D and a DM2000. Not sure about the PM1D, but Iv talked to some folks that have done this with two machines.  One tablet with WiFi, and another regular cheap workstation with network acces, usb, running the DM2000 software.  Just setup a regular network and with either windows remote desktop or VNC control the workstation with the tablet.  There are some other ways of doing wireless serial but this is USB, so those wont work.

cheers,
Joshua Evans

Outlinearrays.com
"Sound is what happens when air gets pushed"

Juan Turro

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 05:56:32 PM »

jevans wrote on Mon, 01 November 2004 17:38

I think there is a big difference between controling a PM1D and a DM2000. Not sure about the PM1D, but Iv talked to some folks that have done this with two machines.  One tablet with WiFi, and another regular cheap workstation with network acces, usb, running the DM2000 software.  Just setup a regular network and with either windows remote desktop or VNC control the workstation with the tablet.  There are some other ways of doing wireless serial but this is USB, so those wont work.

cheers,

This is true today.  Like I just mentioned in a previous post it is currently being developed for USB.  It may not ultimately work but the guys at PRAM think it is possible using USB and they are working on such a device.  The two machine scenario has been done for many years.  I have done it myself but not have been happy with the performance.

Juan
Juan Turro
AVS Production Group
New York , NY
[email protected]

Andy Leviss

• http://OneFromTheRoad.com
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 12:03:33 AM »

110dbmichael wrote on Fri, 29 October 2004 14:54

I had one friend tell me a blue tooth USB interface might be the way to go but from what I can tell that has distance limitations... any ideas???

Originally, yes, Bluetooth was range limited, since only Class 2 devices were available, but they now have Class 1 devices with a stated range of up to 100 m. According to an article in Mix a few months ago, they've been used quite successfully for sound system control.
IATSE Local 1
Available for work in NYC or on the road.
Editor, One From The Road: Tools, Toys, and Tales for Theatrical Technicians

110dbmichael

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 10:26:13 AM »

so USB to Blue Tooth might actually work????
live concerts in 5.1 surround is fun!!!

Andy Leviss

• http://OneFromTheRoad.com
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 03:03:55 PM »

In theory, yes, although I'm not at all familiar with the specific products you'd need to do it. But my understanding is that it's perfectly feasible. Definitely check out the Mix article, which is at: http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_zooming_zone/index.html

Now if only somebody were making a Bluetooth or WiFi firewire unit, so I could connect my audio interface to my computer wirelessly. In my little dream world, my laptop would hook up wirelessly to the audio interface, and then back to whatever processing gear I'm using, so I could just walk around with the unencumbered laptop and do tweaking and measuring from anywhere in the venue. Yeah, I could do that by using a second computer, but to be able to do it with a couple pieces of hardware and my laptop would be so much more economical.

Although some days I am tempted to get a nice shock rack for my editing computer when I'm home on winter break and bringing it out as the measurement computer, and then just using the laptop as a remote. Not sure it's worth the hassle, especially since it's at my own expense, but sometimes the idea is really tantalizing.

--A
IATSE Local 1
Available for work in NYC or on the road.
Editor, One From The Road: Tools, Toys, and Tales for Theatrical Technicians

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 03:03:55 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 23 queries.