ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 LAB sub and 4 EAW LA325?  (Read 7008 times)

Aleksander Stensen

4 LAB sub and 4 EAW LA325?
« on: October 29, 2004, 10:11:39 AM »

Hi, I´m about to build my first 4 Lab subs for my DJ/Event/Show setup. But have difficulties to find enough money to buy top boxes that can keep up.
PA is really expensive her in Norway, at least twice the price in US. A new pair of EAW costs about 7000$ here, and the stuff needed to build the labs about 6000$! But there is this guy who can sell me 4 LA 325 for a good price. Will this be a ok combination with the labsub? Where should i crossover?

Thanks
Aleksander

Tim Padrick

Re: 4 LAB sub and 4 EAW LA325?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 10:53:11 PM »

I'm assuming that you want to use two per side for increased horizontal coverage?  In this case the LA325 may not be a good choice, as it does not have much pattern control.

Marjan Milosevic

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 03:26:47 AM »

6000 $ for 4 labsubs.
This is way wrong.
The only part You must import to Norway are the drivers.
As I can see from the Eminence www there is no representative in your country, but you can import them from Sweden, check out the Swedish dealer for Eminence http://www.starfelt.se/.
I waited almost 3 months for the Lab12s but they didn't cost the fortune - 140 Euros with VAT.
The rest is wood and you will have to have the best Scandinavian birch Plywood. And don't tell me that 10 sheets (1,24x2,44m) plywood cost 4000 $.
My calculation is that for 2 Labsub I have spent 1200$ Total. Not calculating my labor, which is about the same as in USA.
I think that the rest can confirm this.

Mr.Nightro

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 04:20:29 PM »

Well the figure of $6,000 for four Labs as stated by Aleks2 isn't that far off the mark. When I calculated the total cost for four labs to be built here in Bermuda the grand total came to $5,249.97 not including transport costs. Basically it broke down like this:

ten sheets of Baltic Birch purchased locally at a price of $175.00 per sheet came to $1,750.00

Alloy Plates purchased locally cost $25.00 per 12"X12" sheet total of $200.00

eight Lab 12 drivers from Parts Express cost $149.99 each for a total of $1,199.92

eight speaker bolt kit from Parts Express are $3.00 each total $24.00

eight Handles from Parts Express cost $4.25 each total of $34.00

sixty four corners from Parts Express cost $1.65 each total of $105.60

eight casters from Parts Express cost $5.75 each total of $46.00

four dual 1/4" terminal plates from Parts Express  cost $1.50 each total $6.00

Total Shipping of all parts from Parts Express to Bermuda cost $350.00

Total duty paid on parts from Parts Express cost $359.45

Paint, speaker wire, screws, glue etc. purchased locally costs $175.00

the cost of a carpenter to build these since I don't have the time nor the tools to take on this job myself comes in at $250.00 per cabinet total of $1,000

add all those prices up & you see we're sitting on $5,249.97 & that doesn't include the price of hiring a truck to move them from the carpenters shop to my storage location so lets tag on an aditional $150.00 moving the final cost to $5,399.97. So you see the Labhorn subs are up in the price range of $1,349.99 each here in Bermuda. All in all though even at $1,349.99 each for what you're getting you can't get anything here locally unless second hand to compete against them in the price range so I can't really complain.

Aleksander Stensen

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 07:31:52 PM »

MarjanM

What are you talking about?
We live in different contries, with different prices. Wink

8 X Lab12 in Norway:
8 x 2500 Norwegian kroner(and thats not expensive), (1$= about 8 kroner)(Normally a repsett to mye Bagend TA12 12" costs more than that here)
= 20 000 kroner= 2 500$

Thats only for the drivers, without shipping!!!

Wood, glue, wheels, handels, cables, paint, shipping, aluminum plates and screws brings the price up to at least 6 000$, if I make good use of the money. Confused

MR.Nightro

Thanks

TimmyP

I was thinking about using them together in two pairs. I read on the EAW website about their lack of pattern controll. But with only two speakers per side, and the short distance between the mid/hi drivers, will this be a big problem?

Tanks:)

Tim Padrick

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 01:32:59 AM »

Aleks2 wrote on Mon, 01 November 2004 18:31

I was thinking about using them together in two pairs. I read on the EAW website about their lack of pattern controll. But with only two speakers per side, and the short distance between the mid/hi drivers, will this be a big problem?

Tanks:)

I think you'd have some comb filtering and hot spots using them in pairs.  Perhaps someone has used them in that way and will chime in.  (There's a local room that has 2 per side flown, but the place is such an acoustic nightmare you can't tell what's the fault of the room and what's the fault of the array.)

Mr.Nightro

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 06:37:08 PM »

I was on a cruise this summer on the Carnival cruise line ship the Destiny. They have over a dozen of these EAW LA 325 cabinets arrayed throughout the room it had very even coverage no matter where you stood or sat. I must say I was impressed with thier clarity in the mid/highs while still pushing out a good amount of lower frequencies. I looked into purchasing a few lof these locally when I got back home but the price is just WAY too high for me to even consider.

Marjan Milosevic

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 03:36:18 AM »

Aleks,
Are You trying to tell me that one LAB12 costs 312 $ in Norway????
Thats insane Shocked

As I can see on the web You can find it in Sweden fo 211 Euros, which is 70 Euros more of what I have get mine for.

Search the web for the drivers in Europe and find someone to bring them for You.

It will be worth the effort beleve me.

312$ ?????????????????????

And i tought my country is weird.

I dont know where in Norway are You, maybe it is worht of trying to shop in Russia. Or Hamburg it is just acros the see  Cool

Anyway good luck and be persistent

MarjanM
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.