ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub Choices  (Read 12689 times)

(Brian) Frost

Sub Choices
« on: October 28, 2004, 03:06:47 PM »

I havent found a sub that really suits my needs yet.  The system is for corporate work in high end hotel ballrooms etc.  We are using Nexo PS10s as mains with powerlites running them.   Right now we have an apogee sub that is no more than OK.   I need a reasonably small sub that can run off of 1200 watts or is powered.  

I have tried Nexo subs.  sounded pretty good but really needed a BIIG poweramp to do what I wanted.  I am circuit limited in a lot of situations so I cannot carry a macro 5000.

I have tried Bag Ends, which werent bad once you added the bag end processor but I would like better.

I have tried some of the cheap subs like mackie and yorkville and thought they sounded worse than what I have.  The yorkville ls 500 in particular sounded good at low volumes but sounded like it had a limiter in it, when I got louder, the sub stayed the same.

The closest I have come has been a meyer usw1.    It sounded fantastic, and is exactly the size I want it to be.  My problem came in that it DOESNT HAVE A TRIM of any kind! I run my levels pretty conservatively and even with the sub output cranked, the sub seemed to have a lot of room to get louder.  This would be perfect if it had a trim to mate better with the rest of my system.   I will not spend $4k on a sub then have to build a line driver or back off my main amp trims (losing headroom)  to integrate it.

The usw1 was the perfect form factor, what can I do to integrate it with little or no kluge factor?  what else should I look into?

Thanks
Frost
Frost

Owner, Narnia Productions

www.NarniaProductions.com

Chicago IL

Good is good but not as good as better

AxeSlash

Re: Sub Choices
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 04:14:07 PM »

Are you using the B2EX processor with the USWs? I believe that has a trim control...

But if you want powered, get PSW2s. USW in a powered trapezoid box basically. Bigger, admittedly. We stuck top hats in ours and they've been out with our UPA1Ps constantly ever since.

(my opinion anyway)

- Jez
Bury me with my leatherman.

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 04:27:44 PM »

no, Im using the nexo processor.  I tried it with an output of the board and just using the crossover in the sub, didnt like it.  it sounded great with the nexo processor, just not loud enough.
Frost
Frost

Owner, Narnia Productions

www.NarniaProductions.com

Chicago IL

Good is good but not as good as better

Phill Chapman (Chappie)

• http://www.soundbydesign.net
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 05:51:18 AM »

USW-1P's are very nice but as you say, they can run out of steam depending on what you are using them for.  They just don't have enough grunt for most applications.  If you can find some PSW-4's second-hand, they would work better.

If you want bigger still, you could try Meyer 650's.  A pair of older unpowered R2's will go lower than the modern, powered version.  Another alternative is the EM Acoustics Quake.  They are very powerful and will take as much amp power as you can throw at them.

ironmansound

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 09:41:57 AM »

Here is what I do... I have all of my PS stuff on powerlights as well and am also forced to use outlets in many cases. I have about 20 EV T18 subs loaded with EVX's in our inventory which albeit a little on the ghetto side work really well with PL's and the Nexo sub outputs (eq and loudness). this is a horn/manifold design so they are very efficient and they also have pole cups on the top for the ps10's to go on top. I would still recommend using the Nexo subs with pl's that is not a bad way to go..

Juan Turro

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 10:39:16 AM »

I will also recommend the Meyer PSW-2.  We have a few and they work very well.  We use them with UPA-1P's as well as many other systems.  The are in the Concert series rather than Ultra series and have more power.  Yes, they are larger but not that much.  When they have been too tall for a particular event I have laid them down on their sides and they do okay.

Juan
Juan Turro
AVS Production Group
New York , NY
[email protected]

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 10:25:05 PM »

All of the Bagend subs need the processor.  What sub did you use from them?  I have used the single 18 and the dual 12.  I think the dual 12 has more output and impact but the 18 goes lower.  For corpy stuff I would use a pair of dual 12.

I would also look at SPL.  They have a few subs out that are small and powerful.

Tom B
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Randy

• http://RandyFocht.com
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 04:41:35 AM »

I am also looking at Nexo PS10's, Yorkville NX550p, or Mackie 350 for mains. Looking for a good, lightweight sub.

JBL ?
Yorkville?
BagEnd?
Nexo?
Peavey?

Prefer sub that is lighter than 60lbs, I could use two of them.

How do the Nexo LS400 sound?

Don't really want to spend $2000 for them.

Any recommendations?

Simon Tucker

• http://www.matrixproductions.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 08:23:11 AM »

Hi,

The LS400`s are great little sounding boxes considering their size and weight, although bear in mind that the dedicated processer is designed for using them with the PS8`s as top cabs as opposed to PS10`s.

The LS subs are designed to be used with a particular PS top cab; the LS400 with the PS8, LS500 with the PS10 and the LS1200 with the PS15.  When used in this way they create excellent full range systems.

Its pretty awkward to use the different subs with the different top cabs.  For instance, if you did want to use the LS400`s with the PS10`s, you would need to buy the LS400`s, a PS8TD, the PS10`s and a PS10TD, as the different cabs need their own dedicated processor.

My 0.02

Simon

Mikael Holm (the old one)

• http://Mikael Holm
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 09:03:13 PM »

Frost wrote on Thu, 28 October 2004 22:06

I have tried Nexo subs.  sounded pretty good but really needed a BIIG poweramp to do what I wanted.  I am circuit limited in a lot of situations so I cannot carry a macro 5000.

The matching sub LS500 doesn't need MA5000/2VZ. MA2400/2 can drive it to its full output. Better yet, get some switching amplifier like lab.gruppen fp2600.

Miffe, gearslut, independent sound engineer, small business owner

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 09:03:13 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.