ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Access plate error! -- urgent help needed  (Read 3241 times)

David Trotter

Access plate error! -- urgent help needed
« on: October 20, 2004, 05:28:27 AM »

Have just received my 8 aluminium access plates. However, in my e-mail to the company i gave them the hole diameter instead of the 14.3 inch diameter. Now i have 8 13.31 inch diameter circles!!

Can i still use these? They sit 12mm over the edge. If i seal up the holes, and drill 16 new ones further out and use good foam, will the plates still seal!??? or do they NEED the inch overlap to work properly?

Can i use 2-pak milliput to seal them, or will they need to be welded?

Please say they will be ok, because i don't want think that i wasted

Brad Litz

Re: Access plate error! -- urgent help needed
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 06:10:39 PM »

Shocked

You can plug the holes in the aluminum plates with epoxy and drill new holes near the edges but I would guess that the screws will be too close to the edge of the opening in the plywood side panel.

I would get some speaker clamps and hold them down with screws outside of the plates. Use about 12 for each plate.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&P artnumber=269-212

Seal with:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7& Partnumber=269-300
Brad Litz

Roy Eikamp

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 08:12:41 PM »

Here is an idea. make your own. cut mild steel flat stock 1/8" x1/2" x 3/4" long. Drill and counter sink for 10-32 flathead socket screws. recess the alluminun plate and the wood at the twelve locations with your router (you should have one for this project anyway); making the wood recess a bit deeper. Use 10-32 "T" nuts not 1/4 inch. 10-32 screws will be more than stong enough and take up less space. This method allows you to maintain a flush surface. A small amount of non permanent locktite will help keep screws tight. Experiment with the flat stock dimensions before you commit yourself.
later
Roy

Mike Pyle

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 01:47:48 AM »

How about calling the company that did the work for you, explain your mistake, and see if they will give you a break and redo the job for a discounted price?
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
Dealer: Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, KV2, FBT, EAW, Danley, SLS, Turbosound, dBTech
 APB,A&H,Audix,Shure,Powersoft,RoadReady,K&M,Ultimate ,Global Truss,DENON,Chauvet,Elation...

David Trotter

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 05:53:19 AM »

have tried calling the company, they are sympathetic, but wouldn't give me much discount.

the holes seal up nice with 2-pak milliput. i've drilled 16 new holes around the edge and am just gonna use screws. i know its not a permanent solution, but i can always turn the plate round a few degrees if the threads go. theres no reason why it shouldn't still be airtight and the screaws pull very tight and have never let me down in the past.

cheers guys

Tom Herr

• http://www.tandjsound.com
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 02:45:31 PM »

Think it over Davey.
If you use the undersized plates and they work you save
Tom Herr
T&J Sound
Custom Speakers

David Trotter

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 06:40:39 PM »

That was the first thought that went through my mind!

However, i have a big night next friday that the LABs need to be ready for and the plates can't be done again in time. I will be testing 1 first for a few hours, and at the end of the day, i'm powering all 4 with a single MA5000vz, so they're not too overpowered.

Drivers were
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.