ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new sub project  (Read 4073 times)

Andres Gonzalez

new sub project
« on: October 15, 2004, 03:43:12 pm »

I am considering a new sub woofer project. I am consider building some dual 15" subs to use with my rock band. I am currently using a number of Klipsch subs with a MA3600 and an EAW MX8750 digital processor. I have build subs many years ago in the past using the Small/Thiele techniques and so I am familiar with some of the issues.

My questions are these:  Since it has been a long time since I did this before I am not familiar with the currently available drivers. So what are the drivers of choice now? JBL? Eminence? Gauss? McCauley? etc? I am looking for 15" drivers in the 800W to 1000W (preferably 1000W) range suitable for dual-15" vented boxes (non-horn) capable of handling hard-driving rock applications.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

gonzo

Tim Duffin

Re: new sub project
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 04:46:22 pm »

well....

There are several choices... JBL is still good, so is EV, B&C and theres always eminence.  I like JBL drivers myself, but other will have different opinions im sure.

T
SPL sound

Andres Gonzalez

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 05:43:13 pm »

Is the JBL 2226 their top of the line for 15" drivers?

I was not familiar with B&C. I just check out an article about them and took a look at their web site. Very nice--my first impression is that they may not be "industrial" strength. Are they used in high-powered, touring-level systems?

Most of the EAW subs are rated at about 1000W yet I do not find any drivers rated that high. What drivers do they use in, for example, in the the SB150, SB250, or SB650z?

Thanks,

gonzo

[x]

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 02:40:23 pm »

I think B&C are relatively new. They are high quality, though. If you're looking to keep costs down, check out the Peavey Low Rider series of subwoofer drivers. They are surprising lots of people with their capability as a sub driver.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&P artnumber=294-303

Parts Express has just begun to carry Peavey parts and some Peavey gear. The Low Rider 15" has response down to 30 Hz, and 800 watts RMS per driver power handling. It also has about twice the linear excursion of the Black Widow drivers (About 9mm compared to the BW's 4.5mm), but the same Kevlar-impregnated cone.

For 1.75 times the price, the B&C 15TBX100 woofer has 10mm of linear excursion, so it will continue to sound good even at high excursions. The 15TBX46 also handles 1000w RMS. The next lower model of B&C speaker is the 15PS40 woofer, which is outperformed by the Low Rider 15 for a similar price.
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

JeremyW

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 04:58:38 pm »

I suggest taking a look at those low riders drivers too, I've heard a lot of positive feedback on them, as well as a reasonable price. Peavey offers a bunch of suggested enclosure sizes and designs, with their respective to accomodate most people's needs with regard to space or performance.

I just finished the plans for a dual 18" enclosure using the low riders...now on to fabrication.

Andres Gonzalez

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 06:04:49 pm »

I must admit, I was not considering Peavy as an option. But I will check them out as you guys suggest.

thanks,

gonzo

Craig Leerman

• http://www.techworksvegas.com
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 11:58:05 pm »

Quote:

I was not familiar with B&C. I just check out an article about them and took a look at their web site. Very nice--my first impression is that they may not be "industrial" strength. Are they used in high-powered, touring-level systems?

B+C drivers have been around since the 1940s. They are a big OEM manufacturer and have been used by such large companies as EAW and Turbosound. Recently, TCS speakers (from Carvin) have switched to B+C components.  B+C makes great stuff.

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

Steve Shafer

Do not overlook 18 Sound
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 11:33:05 pm »

When Mackie first purchased RCF, EAW switched to a company that is sort of a break off of RCF called AEB/18 Sound.  Their drivers are very reasonably priced.  EAW was using them in many of the "z" upgrades of their product lines.

I think 18 Sound has a 15" with nearly two inches of total x-max, but I do not have their catelog with me.

http://www.eighteensound.com/15LW1400.htm  

Thier 18" drivers are used in the budget versons of the new BassMaxx sub woofers.

Steve S

Re: Do not overlook 18 Sound
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 04:23:32 pm »

Actually, we used 18 Sound as one of many manufacturers for our EAW OEM drivers all along, and continue to do so. The "z" upgrade is just that, an upgrade, but doesn't necessarily have to do with a specific driver manufacturer.

bgavin (Bruce Gavin)

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 11:44:22 pm »

Don't overlook the Beyma drivers either.  IMO, they are the Spanish JBLs.  Very tasty design points, great T/S specs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 19 queries.