ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Low Rider 18s  (Read 7234 times)

JeremyW

Low Rider 18s
« on: October 14, 2004, 07:58:30 PM »

Hello everyone,

First and foremost, I am almost as new to this forum as I am to the world of pro audio. Ha. I am a DJ with my own small business and I am looking to upgrade to a new subwoofer plan. I live in a rather rural area in Nova Scotia and the venues I cater to are mostly Junior High School dances.

I am in the market for a new subwoofer. I would really like to run 1 x dual 18". As a bit of an entrepreneur, I build my own custom enclosures, however, I have hit a speedbump in this project. The drivers I want to use are a pair of Peavey Low Rider 18s.

http://www.peavey.com/products/shop_online/browse.cfm/action /details/item/00479910/wc/2A2E21/fam/7A1/tcode/1/lw.cfm

They are the same drivers as the QW-218, which has been receiving some interesting reviews. As anyone who visits the above link will find, their specs are barely there. The things I am interested in are not listed there, primairly, Recommended Enclosure size. Granted I could always try and repilicate the 218, but where's the fun in that? Razz

The plan I drew out so far has a volume of about 12 cu. ft per cone and I am confident in saying that it is a little too large. If anyone knows of the proper enclosure volume, it would be greatly appreciated. Or, does anyone know if the QW-218 has seperate chambers for each cone, or is it one big chamber without any dividers?

If anyone has any suggestions for another cabinent, build or buy, please, forward your ideas. I had been looking into some Yorkville cabs (great gear, take a look! www.yorkville.com) But I haven't been able to find anything that suits my purpose.....I mean budget Smile

Thanks for looking, any comments, please pass along!

Jeremy

[x]

Re: Low Rider 18s
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 10:44:37 PM »

Just build two single-18" boxes and put them together in the middle, under a table or something, directly between the speakers. Then, if you move on to live sond, you can separate the boxes and put one under each main speaker so as to not obstruct the stage.

Parts Express here in the United States has just begun to sell some Peavey stuff, including the Low Rider 15" and 18" subwoofer drivers. Their product listing has full T/S parameters for the drivers.
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

Tim Padrick

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 11:01:10 PM »

The performance zill suffer quite a bit if you split the woofers.  Both from loss of coupling, and from comb filtering.  See the second link on http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/SubwooferInfo.htm

Scott Shaw

• http://www.myspace.com/scotts63
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 11:33:47 PM »

The QW-218 has seperate chambers for each 18. The beauty of that is if you lose one 18, it won't affect the performance of the other. I've also read on the Peavey site, the Low Rider requires a small enclosure. When I picked up mine, I was surpised how small the boxes were. They sound great though.

Scott

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 08:39:03 AM »

JeremyW wrote on Fri, 15 October 2004 00:58

Hello everyone,

First and foremost, I am almost as new to this forum as I am to the world of pro audio. Ha. I am a DJ with my own small business and I am looking to upgrade to a new subwoofer plan. I live in a rather rural area in Nova Scotia and the venues I cater to are mostly Junior High School dances.

I am in the market for a new subwoofer. I would really like to run 1 x dual 18". As a bit of an entrepreneur, I build my own custom enclosures, however, I have hit a speedbump in this project. The drivers I want to use are a pair of Peavey Low Rider 18s.

http://www.peavey.com/products/shop_online/browse.cfm/action /details/item/00479910/wc/2A2E21/fam/7A1/tcode/1/lw.cfm

They are the same drivers as the QW-218, which has been receiving some interesting reviews. As anyone who visits the above link will find, their specs are barely there. The things I am interested in are not listed there, primairly, Recommended Enclosure size. Granted I could always try and repilicate the 218, but where's the fun in that? Razz

Thanks for looking, any comments, please pass along!

Jeremy

You'll need to download the TS Parameters of the driver,
to acomplish optimum results using the Low Rider 18, or
any speaker for the matter.

Just look under Peavey's PDF section. Its there.

Best Regards,
Elliot

JeremyW

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 10:07:28 AM »

Awesome. I found all the specs (thanks elliot). I now have my enclosure figured out and I just need to start building.

My next problem is powering the thing. The plan is to run them parallel into 4 ohms. I want to try out the PV series power amps. The are lighter, and perform a little better (according to the local PA dealer) than the CS line. I especially like the idea of a bridged output using Speakon (about time someone did that) The PV 900 was the one recommended to me, however, I am a little sketchy; to power pair of 800W continuous, 1600W PGM (each) seems like it may take a little more than the output of the PV900.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks again for the info regarding the low riders

take er easy

Jeff Robinson

• http://www.geocities.com/loudspeakerguru
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 10:24:42 AM »

Hail to thee, blithe Spirit!
Bird thou never wert
That from Heaven, or near it
Pourest thy full heart
In profuse strains of unpremeditated art
Such harmonious madness
From my lips would flow
The world should listen then, as I am listening now!

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 10:47:30 AM »

Hello JeremyW.

I would feed each Low Rider 18, 1200 watts.

I don't know how the PV Series can offer
better results than the CS line.Considering,
the CS line is a higher class in Peavey's
power amp chain, I can't say I would agree.

I would recomend the GPS 2600, or the CS 2000H,
Bridged in 4 ohms, if you want to stay with Peavey.

The PV is Peavey's bottom of the line series,
and, would expect it not to perform as well as
the CS or GPS under low impedance, high output
requirements.

Just my 2 cents.  

Best Regards,
Elliot

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 10:52:01 AM »

JeremyW wrote on Fri, 15 October 2004 09:07

Awesome. I found all the specs (thanks elliot). I now have my enclosure figured out and I just need to start building.

My next problem is powering the thing. The plan is to run them parallel into 4 ohms. I want to try out the PV series power amps. The are lighter, and perform a little better (according to the local PA dealer) than the CS line. I especially like the idea of a bridged output using Speakon (about time someone did that) The PV 900 was the one recommended to me, however, I am a little sketchy; to power pair of 800W continuous, 1600W PGM (each) seems like it may take a little more than the output of the PV900.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks again for the info regarding the low riders

take er easy

I think your dealer has PV amps in stock....  Very Happy

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Marjan Milosevic

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 11:29:51 AM »

Well,
I own 3 Crest CPX2600 amps and they are the same amps as the PV series.
They are not recommended to be use in 4ohm bridged mode.
For powering Low riders you will need way more than PV900.
I have tried my CPX on 4ohm bridged on four single KappaPro15LF reflex boxes and they are almost unnotiseable louder then in 4ohm stereo mode.
Don't get me wrong I am more than pleased with their performance and really love them, bud they have their limits.
Also, I will support the idea of building 4 separate boxes as they will be more user friendly and for smaller applications where you need two smaller boxes you will have them.

I am also considering Low Rider 18s for a system upgrade, and those are my conclusions.

Regards and good luck
MarjanM
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.