ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 21" Cones - Why Not?  (Read 10955 times)

Noel Bennett

Re: 21" Cones - Why Not?
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2004, 09:49:12 PM »

Only 360 lbs  an S4 weighs in at nearly 500lbs didnt stop people using them
Of all my relations I like sex best and Eric the least

bgavin (Bruce Gavin)

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2004, 02:08:35 PM »

The T/S data for the SD-21 indicates it is a typical high efficiency sub, small box, with a high F3.

Mikael Holm (the old one)

• http://Mikael Holm
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2004, 11:15:50 AM »

Old thread, yadda yadda but...

D. Parker wrote on Fri, 15 October 2004 15:44

Note the 113 DB sensitivity at 1w/1m. BUTTT!!!!!

As was said that sensitivity is at 100Hz. They are 8dB down from that at ~30Hz. It's useless to quote the sensitivities outside the bandpass they are used.

Miffe, gearslut, independent sound engineer, small business owner

Mikael Holm (the old one)

• http://Mikael Holm
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2004, 11:48:23 AM »

D. Parker wrote on Fri, 15 October 2004 15:56

I believe one of the advantages of the bassist having 10's onstage is that the 10's are easier to hear up close.

Yup and that is because smaller cones usually have better response where it really counts iow. in the 1kHz and up range (definition is in the 2-5kHz range).

Quote:

A bassist standing near his stage rig cannot hear the lower freqs an 18 puts out.

BS. It's because they have it directed to their legs. In the 2-5kHz range they have serious directivity and that's why they must be cranked higher.

Quote:

They develop out farther in the room and the sound guy has to deal with them. 10's do this too, but not nearly as bad.

Nope. A soundwave does not need any distance to develope. See above for the explanation. 10" woofers has less directive response at upper frequencies so you don't have to turn then so loud.

Besides quad 10" cabinets are not that better than very large woofers. They have serious directivity and destructive interference up where the definition is -> bassplayer turn them louder. That's the real reason why FOH engineers have hard time with bassplayers.

Quote:

One thing I noticed early on in this business is that to satisfy the bassist onstage, (me included), the stage rig will be pretty much filling the room with bass. AND, it doesn't matter if the bassist doesn't have a rig onstage, if he only has wedges, when I get the wedges cranked enough to make the bassist happy, the wedges are filling the room with bass.

It's about the feel. Boost HF and see what happens.

Miffe, gearslut, independent sound engineer, small business owner

AxeSlash

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2004, 08:07:10 PM »

Thought this might be of interest; Adamson are developing a new 21" kevlar coned sub to complement the Y18 (SX subs aren't man enough for the job)...don't know much about it, I'm just hoping it'll be better than their kevlar 18s are. One to keep an eye on I think just to see what it's capable of.
Bury me with my leatherman.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.