ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I don't know what to choose!!!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!  (Read 2427 times)

Cody Beyer

I don't know what to choose!!!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
« on: October 28, 2004, 01:29:48 AM »

Ok, here is what I am up against. I have an Alesis HD-24 with the fireport that I just got and I am looking for a board to use with it. It will be mostly for live foh/monitor use but I would like to be able to use it in a recording situation with the HD24 and then put it into a DAW for editing. I got two ideas from another post that I had up. The first one was to get the Allen & Heath GL3300M-832D which looks really great. Then the second one that was mentioned was the Yamaha O1V96 with the Yamaha MY16AT card and a PreSonus DigiMAX LT. I really like both of them but I don't know what one to choose. I would really like some input on what you think would be better and which would be the more ideal thing for me to get. I know that there is the whole price difference thing but other than that any suggestions. Thanks!!

Brian Adams

Re: I don't know what to choose!!!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 03:02:56 AM »

Let's see, you're comparing a fairly large analog console to a small digital one...Hmm, the digital one will have some decent built in stuff like compresssion, gating and EQ, but the analog board is nice and big...and twice the price.

How many channels do you need?  Do you already have a decent rack of effects and compression and stuff?  Is space and/or weight an issue?  Although the GL3300 is a pretty light mixer, it's still a lot bigger and heavier than a little digital mixer, and the case will be bigger and heavier as well.  You can mount the 01v in a rack with everything else, and it will be a lot more compact.

If were me, I would much rather use the A&H with a decent rack than a small digital board.  No question, in my opinion.  The A&H is laid out like you'd expect, and the connectivity is much better, plus there's more channels and they all have a preamp already.  Now, if you were to do a more apples to apples comparison, to say a Yamaha 02R 96, then I'd think about it a little bit, and I'd probably be tempted to go digital in that situation.  
B.

andrew gissing

• http://www.stylusra.com.au
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 03:40:34 AM »

You said put it in a DAW for editing - what will you be mixing on ?

If DAW, fine.

If you want to use a mixer, and you've only got the one, then depending on how frequently you take out the desk for live use.. that could be a real pain having to write down settings.

On the other hand, live mixing with small format digital desks is an issue all by itself - I know 'cause i've got one ! (Tascam DM24).

Also, if you're planning on having anyone else use your desk in a live situation.. analogue is definately an easier path.

Andrew

Todd Wilcox

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 12:57:40 PM »

This will probably not be an easy decision. As an 01V96 user, I can say that it is a little tricky to get the hang of using it for live sound. I have to allow myself a lot of extra setup time to take into account possible learning issues before a show. For example, sometimes I just can't get sound to go where I want it. After looking at the 2000+ different settings, I finally realize I've made a mistake somewhere. That happens at about 50% of the shows I do and so I've come to expect it.

With an analog board (like the A&H) you won't have the same kind of learning curve.

On the other hand, you are also planning to do recording, and there are many advantages of digital mixers. I think you might need to add to your list of decision parameters:

1) How big are the shows you are doing? How large will the bands be? How large will the audience be?

2) When is the first show you are planning to do? (if it's next week, you probably don't want to go digital)

3) How important is sound quality for the live show? How important is sound quality for the recorded audio?

4) How much equipment do you want to carry around? Do you have a truck, or will you be rolling around with a car?

5) Are you the only person who will run the equipment, or will have employees using it? Will you rent out the equipment?

The answer to these questions should help you zero in. For instance, if sound quality of the live show it more important than recording quality, and other people will be using the gear, and you have a truck and can transport lots of gear, then the Allen & Heath is your board. If you would go with the opposite answers to those questions, then you should strongly consider the Yamaha or something similar.

Todd

Brad Irving

• http://www.prosoundmixer.com
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 01:47:50 AM »

I think you should look at the PM5D, you can get plugins and cards for stuff like digital out, light pipe, direct outputs and more. It would be a great board for both live and recording and has everything you need in one package. Comps, Gates, Effects and more.
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/proaudio/index.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.