ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best lightweight powered sub  (Read 64681 times)

Steve Anderson

Re: Best lightweight powered sub
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2011, 12:34:30 AM »

Thanks....I needed a good laugh!

Indeed. THIS is more of my idea of a good powered sub.

Greg
or this one http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Product.aspx?PId=237&MId=4

Or even this and it doesn't need a power outlet! Although may be slightly overkill.  :P    (sorry...)

Matt Errend

• SR Forums
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2011, 11:45:28 PM »

We just got in 4x of the DB Technologies S09 subs today, and while they're not exactly inexpensive they are lightweight and pack a hell of a punch for the size. The specs list the weight at 80 someodd pounds, but I don't think this is accurate because I was able to easily lift one to the top of a stack of 4 by myself. My guestimate from putting hands on them would be more in the range of 60lbs.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 11:48:47 PM by Matt Errend »

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2011, 08:50:26 PM »

Quote from: josiahberry
The old mackie srs1500 subs are the best powered subs ever made. I would try to find those... If you can't find any used ones, go for the mackie srm1801 subs. those are great too.

Greg

I am a huge Meyer fan, but this is one I really want to check out:

http://www.adraudio.com/Products/ATA218C.html
Jay Barracato

Pat Latimer

• Charleston, S.C.
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2011, 08:44:53 AM »

Quote from: josiahberry
The old mackie srs1500 subs are the best powered subs ever made. I would try to find those... If you can't find any used ones, go for the mackie srm1801 subs. those are great too.

Greg

I am a huge Meyer fan, but this is one I really want to check out:

http://www.adraudio.com/Products/ATA218C.html

You and me both, Jay. I would like to get a demo of two or four of these with the tops and see how they play together. I really want to hear some of the ADR gear! Bennett.....??

Pat

Frank Guerrero

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2011, 11:54:55 AM »

I think that the Ksub would be a great choice for the size and sound quality it is very easy to move with the wheels but the only down side is the crossover it was made to really be used only with the K series tops.  They did make a HPR-151i that might still be available. I believe they did discontinue production on the HPR series, I may be mistaken.  But it did have a 2 inputs with a 2 direct output, it also had matching outs with 100hz crossover filter with phase-revers switch and led on/off switch for the front led  the only down side would be size/weight and price but i think it would of really hit nice and hard for you.

I use the HPR-181i and the HPR-151i all the time and they hit hard and sound very big with no issues at all i would have gone with the hpr's

The difference between the two are physically very little but audibly very different.
Less, Is More!!

Richard Penrose

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2013, 07:55:58 AM »

I've just picked up a JBL EON 518S sub and am amazed at how light this 18inch sub is!!
I tried it out for its first gig on Friday night and used it with a pair of EON 15G2's for a four piece band.
I miked kick drum and put the bass, keys and 3 vocals through the PA. On first impressions I love this sub! I've had experience with the Mackie SRM 1801 subs and SRM 450 tops which was quite a nice system but so far I prefer the JBL system.
I'm so pleased with the EON 518S that I'm going to pick up a second at a later date!

Thought I'd post an update on this. I have since moved on from the JBL system and now am using a pair of Yamaha DXR15's and EV ELX118P subs. This has been a significant step up from the JBL rig and is working out great.

The EV ELX subs are my current favorite lightweight powered sub. Whilst the specs say they are 2kg heavier than the JBL's they don't really feel it and are easier to carry due to their smaller size and ergonomics.
In terms of performance/sound, they are much louder and sound really good. I used to have to turn my DXR's down to 50% to not overpower the EONs. Not only were the EON's maxed out, the limiter light was constantly flickering. With the EV subs, I now have my DXR's turned up full and the limiter hasn't flickered yet and I have loads of output left on the desk!

I've also heard good things about the DB Technologies sub15D and FBT Promaxx 15sa but haven't had any personal experience with them.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2013, 11:54:17 AM »

. I used to have to turn my DXR's down to 50% to not overpower the EONs. Not only were the EON's maxed out, the limiter light was constantly flickering. With the EV subs, I now have my DXR's turned up full and the limiter hasn't flickered yet and I have loads of output left on the desk!
You really can't use the idea of where the gain is set when using powered speakers.  The gain in the amps can be really different.

Just because you have to turn a particular speaker up or down to match another has no bearing on how loud it actually is.

Just because you "have loads of output" left on the console-does not mean that you can keep turning it up.  You don't have any more headroom than the actual speaker/amp combination.  THAT is your limiting factor-NOT the voltage on the console.  Having "extra headroom" buys you nothing-if the rest of the system cannot also make use of it.

I'm not saying you don't have some room left-but it may not be anywhere near as much as you think.

Generally all that it means if you have "plenty of headroom" on the console is that the gain structure of the system is not setup properly.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2013, 09:51:24 PM »

After reading these post I'm wondering if any of you have actually compared your choices to the JBL 618S-XLF?  If so and I missed it, sorry!  But, as far as light weight, bang for the buck powered subs go, they are hard to beat!

Richard Penrose

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2013, 03:44:51 AM »

After reading these post I'm wondering if any of you have actually compared your choices to the JBL 618S-XLF?  If so and I missed it, sorry!  But, as far as light weight, bang for the buck powered subs go, they are hard to beat!

Hi, no I haven't compared them to the JBL 618-XLF. In the UK they cost almost double the EV's which put them out of my budget. Also, they are bigger and heavier than the EV's. The EV's are easily manageable by myself but the JBL's would be too much for me to manage. Also, they are too big to fit into my small van with the rest of my gear!

I was able to score a great deal on the EV's where I paid less for a pair than a single JBL 618-XLF!!

Brian Jones

• Modesto, CA
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2013, 04:21:38 AM »

I just quickly checked out the KW181 -- it looks very nice!  Of course, it's also $1,400... :o

Still, it looks well worth the money, and it's weight (88 lbs) is identical to the SRS1500 we ended up buying.

That may be her next sub if she decides to trade up and we can find one used for a reasonable price.

What didn't you like about the Mackie 15" subs?  Do you recall the model #(s) of the one(s) you owned?

Thanks!

I think the KW181 is a brilliant sub. Having started with a SRX728S (167 lbs not counting the amp to power it) I will be very happy when I actually buy my own at under 90 lbs. Every time I look at other subs I feel I would be compromising vs. the KW181 with the exception of the PRX618S-XLF and subs that cost a considerably more. I understand RCF has some good ones too, but I haven't heard them. I've seen the KW181 go for as low as $1000 each on craigslist.

If 90 lbs was too much for me, I would consider Yorkville LS720P or the Yamaha DXS 12 or 15. For lower SPL, the EV ZXA1-Sub would be my first choice.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2013, 04:21:38 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.