ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Best lightweight powered sub  (Read 64648 times)

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
Re: Best lightweight powered sub
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2011, 04:43:08 AM »

''I've heard the Mackie SWA series on quite a few occasions and was never blown away by them. I've also used the QSC HPR series on many occasions - and loved them.''

I've owned many SWA subs and there crap & fail all the time, the SRM cabinets are great but the subs need burning :(

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2011, 08:39:31 AM »

I would absolutely take a QSC HPR over a Mackie SWA - of course those are two completely different model ranges - but if I had to take a guess at what a direct comparison between an SRS1500 (heard only twice) and KW181(only read reviews) would sound like - I'd take the QSC no questions asked.

But given the KW is 2-2.5x the price of the Mackie (at least here in the UK), you wouldn't expect anything else, right?
It's hardly a fair comparison once ££ are taken into account.
Cheers,
David.

Kurt Stephens

• SR Forums
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 09:51:18 AM »

But given the KW is 2-2.5x the price of the Mackie (at least here in the UK), you wouldn't expect anything else, right?
It's hardly a fair comparison once ££ are taken into account.
Cheers,
David.

agreed - the QSC should be the better product.

The wrong product for the job at the right price - is still the wrong product for the job however.

Josiah Berry

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2011, 10:38:57 PM »

I apologize for the double post but it looks like the first thread has been looked and I would really like some input/advice.  Thanks!

I'm looking for a powered subwoofer for my wife to use at her karaoke and DJ gigs.

I've been researching powered subs for her for several days now.  The gigs are in small to medium size rooms.  I've looked at dozens of subs and spec sheets and have narrowed the list down to a few:

1) Mackie SRM1801
2) JBL EON518S
3) Mackie HD1501
4) Samson dB1800a
5) Samson dB1500a - discontinued
6) JBL PRX618S
7) JBL PRX518S
8) RCF SUB 705-AS - OEM mfr

The list above is by no means complete.  I'm open to any and all suggestions.  I'm sure there are options I'm not aware of.

Some considerations are:

1) Weight.
    A couple of the above may be getting too heavy at about 80 lbs (if my info is correct) -- #3, 4, and 6.  The lightest is the JBL EON at 65 lbs, the others are about 70 lbs.

2) Quality (not quantity) of sound.
   Having high SPL capability is great, but not if it comes at the expense of accuracy and musicality.

3) Freq. response.
    If we can believe Samson's specs, both of their subs are capable of 20>200 Hz, +/- 3 db.  The max SPL is not specified.  Of course, they may fall apart in 6 months, I don't know.  I can't find any customer reviews or info on them in the online forums.  The claimed freq. response of all the other subs is nowhere close.  Needless to say, all else being equal, I'd go with the sub that has the best response.  I know mfrs sometimes "stretch the truth" so I'm taking max. SPL and freq. response numbers with a grain of salt.  I'm more interested in the opinions of those who know good sound.  Has anyone heard either of the Samsons?

4) High pass outputs.
    Some subs only have full range (parallel/pass-thru) outputs.

5) Price.
    I hesitate to put a hard limit on the price, but the subs above are in our price range -- say less than $1,000.  The RCF is a bit over that (new anyway).

6) Versatility.
    The more inputs and outputs the better.  Variable crossover freq.  Level control.  Phase switch.  XLR and 1/4" inputs and outputs.  Etc, etc.  More = better.

Please keep the above in mind -- particularly weight.  In fact, I'm tempted to eliminate #3, 4, and 6 for that reason.  That said, I would consider buying one of them if it was really good in every other regard, but 80 lbs is stretching it.

Thanks for your help!

The old mackie srs1500 subs are the best powered subs ever made. I would try to find those... If you can't find any used ones, go for the mackie srm1801 subs. those are great too.
Josiah Berry
Berry Sound Acoustics LLC
[email protected]
berrysoundacoustics.net

Danley SH46 - JBL SRX728S - Crown I-Tech HD - A&H SQ7

The correct answer is almost always: It depends

Sherman Johnson

• Washington D.C. Metro From the Inside Out
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2011, 11:47:53 PM »

The old mackie srs1500 subs are the best powered subs ever made. I would try to find those... If you can't find any used ones, go for the mackie srm1801 subs. those are great too.

That's what I like to hear!

We've been happy with the SRS1500 we bought used a few months ago.  At 88 lbs it isn't exactly "lightweight" but the price was right ($400) and it definitely does the job.  It's really overkill for most karaoke/dj gigs in average sized rooms.  It is very efficient compared with the mains so my wife keeps its level control dialed back to -15 db most of the time to get a decent balance between the sub and mains.  Most of the places she plays they aren't looking for ear bleed spl anyway.  The other night she unknowingly played something that was recorded very hot -- it was way loud (well, relatively speaking -- I'd guess 95 to 100+ db for those up front) and it sounded great!  Well, for about 3 or 4 seconds anyway until she dialed it back.  The mains were clear, they're much improved since the srs1500 takes everything below 120 Hz (IIRC) and the bottom end was tight and punchy.  I was impressed.  It certainly woke the room up.   8) 

Just curious -- why do you say they're the best powered subs ever made?  That's high praise. 

Lawrence Sokol

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2011, 10:42:20 AM »

I recently purchased the Carvin LS1801NA and so far am quite impressed w/ the quality/value. ($549). I am the drummer in the band using Roland Vdrums. We use JBL EON's on top. Sound great! Good luck!

I apologize for the double post but it looks like the first thread has been locked and I would really like some input/advice.  Thanks!

I'm looking for a powered subwoofer for my wife to use at her karaoke and DJ gigs.

I've been researching powered subs for her for several days now.  The gigs are in small to medium size rooms.  I've looked at dozens of subs and spec sheets and have narrowed the list down to a few:

1) Mackie SRM1801
2) JBL EON518S
3) Mackie HD1501
4) Samson dB1800a
5) Samson dB1500a - discontinued
6) JBL PRX618S
7) JBL PRX518S
8) RCF SUB 705-AS - OEM mfr

The list above is by no means complete.  I'm open to any and all suggestions.  I'm sure there are options I'm not aware of.

Some considerations are:

1) Weight.
    A couple of the above may be getting too heavy at about 80 lbs (if my info is correct) -- #3, 4, and 6.  The lightest is the JBL EON at 65 lbs, the others are about 70 lbs.

2) Quality (not quantity) of sound.
   Having high SPL capability is great, but not if it comes at the expense of accuracy and musicality.

3) Freq. response.
    If we can believe Samson's specs, both of their subs are capable of 20>200 Hz, +/- 3 db.  The max SPL is not specified.  Of course, they may fall apart in 6 months, I don't know.  I can't find any customer reviews or info on them in the online forums.  The claimed freq. response of all the other subs is nowhere close.  Needless to say, all else being equal, I'd go with the sub that has the best response.  I know mfrs sometimes "stretch the truth" so I'm taking max. SPL and freq. response numbers with a grain of salt.  I'm more interested in the opinions of those who know good sound.  Has anyone heard either of the Samsons?

4) High pass outputs.
    Some subs only have full range (parallel/pass-thru) outputs.

5) Price.
    I hesitate to put a hard limit on the price, but the subs above are in our price range -- say less than $1,000.  The RCF is a bit over that (new anyway).

6) Versatility.
    The more inputs and outputs the better.  Variable crossover freq.  Level control.  Phase switch.  XLR and 1/4" inputs and outputs.  Etc, etc.  More = better.

Please keep the above in mind -- particularly weight.  In fact, I'm tempted to eliminate #3, 4, and 6 for that reason.  That said, I would consider buying one of them if it was really good in every other regard, but 80 lbs is stretching it.

Thanks for your help!

Rob Truesdell

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2011, 02:20:36 PM »

[quote author=josiahberry link=topic=724.msg11907#msg11907

[/quote]

Thanks....I needed a good laugh!

Richard Penrose

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2011, 03:49:13 PM »

I've just picked up a JBL EON 518S sub and am amazed at how light this 18inch sub is!!
I tried it out for its first gig on Friday night and used it with a pair of EON 15G2's for a four piece band.
I miked kick drum and put the bass, keys and 3 vocals through the PA. On first impressions I love this sub! I've had experience with the Mackie SRM 1801 subs and SRM 450 tops which was quite a nice system but so far I prefer the JBL system.
I'm so pleased with the EON 518S that I'm going to pick up a second at a later date!

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2011, 07:49:38 PM »

Quote from: josiahberry

Indeed. THIS is more of my idea of a good powered sub.

Greg
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Chris Gruber

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2011, 11:57:44 PM »

Indeed. THIS is more of my idea of a good powered sub.

Greg
or this one http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Product.aspx?PId=237&MId=4

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2011, 11:57:44 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.