ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Best lightweight powered sub  (Read 64409 times)

Kurt Stephens

• SR Forums
Re: Best lightweight powered sub
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 07:58:09 PM »

I've heard quite a bit of the FBT range ( not those subs thou ) and its lovely kit but i find it just runs of of steam a little to quick for me.

What are you referring to "running out of steam" - the new PromaxX series specifically?
I've never heard anything from this new series yet - so I'm anxious to get opinions.

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 07:00:51 AM »

What are you referring to "running out of steam" - the new PromaxX series specifically?
I've never heard anything from this new series yet - so I'm anxious to get opinions.

Take the FBT Maxx5, sounds great ( better than the Mackie SRM range ) BUT isn't anywhere as near as loud and doesn't take the stick that people are going to be giving them when out on dry hire.

I took a pair of these out with the matching bins and i had to push them hard to cover 150people.

The Mackie SRM 450v2 may sound a little ummm rough sometimes (lol) but they keep trucking on and there perfect for dry hires.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2011, 09:06:32 PM »

Late for the show I know but wanted to throw these out in case someone was checking this thread out.

http://www.thedjhouse.com/item/proel-flash15sa-powered/

Although I have not heard these myself I keep hearing good things about them. At this price and size they appear to be a good light small sub with a solid sound.

Douglas R. Allen

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2011, 11:46:02 PM »

Proel are backed by some very good people / companies. expect good things

Sherman Johnson

• Washington D.C. Metro From the Inside Out
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2011, 11:37:50 PM »

Late for the show I know but wanted to throw these out in case someone was checking this thread out.

http://www.thedjhouse.com/item/proel-flash15sa-powered/

Although I have not heard these myself I keep hearing good things about them. At this price and size they appear to be a good light small sub with a solid sound.

Douglas R. Allen

Thanks for the tip!

It looks like a good deal for $479.  I wish I'd known about these before we bought the SRS1500.  The Mackie sounds decent, and we may have gone that way anyway, but it's nice to have options.  This sub only costs $80 more than we paid for  the Mackie used.  Most new subs that are similar to the SRS 1500 cost about $1,000 (+/-) so it seemed like a deal at $400.  I checked completed sales at eBay and found two SRS1500 subs that were sold recently -- one was close to $500 and the other was about $675 IIRC.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »

I have not seen anyone in these forums say kind words about the sound of the KSub.
I studied powered subs for a while (and had a thread on lightweight powered subs on the old lounge forum. If you search it you may find the spreadsheet I posted with my comparisons.

I used to own the Mackie 15" subs many years ago and didn't like them.

What I wanted was a sub that was under 90lbs, powered, with wheels.

I bought KW181s and love em. They are very easy to load in and out of the car with 2 people as the handles are in a nice location (though a second pair at 90 degreed would be nice).
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Sherman Johnson

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2011, 08:57:18 PM »

I have not seen anyone in these forums say kind words about the sound of the KSub.
I studied powered subs for a while (and had a thread on lightweight powered subs on the old lounge forum. If you search it you may find the spreadsheet I posted with my comparisons.

I used to own the Mackie 15" subs many years ago and didn't like them.

What I wanted was a sub that was under 90lbs, powered, with wheels.

I bought KW181s and love em. They are very easy to load in and out of the car with 2 people as the handles are in a nice location (though a second pair at 90 degreed would be nice).

I just quickly checked out the KW181 -- it looks very nice!  Of course, it's also $1,400... :o

Still, it looks well worth the money, and it's weight (88 lbs) is identical to the SRS1500 we ended up buying.

That may be her next sub if she decides to trade up and we can find one used for a reasonable price.

What didn't you like about the Mackie 15" subs?  Do you recall the model #(s) of the one(s) you owned?

Thanks!

james page

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2011, 10:51:45 PM »

I just quickly checked out the KW181 -- it looks very nice!  Of course, it's also $1,400... :o

Still, it looks well worth the money, and it's weight (88 lbs) is identical to the SRS1500 we ended up buying.

That may be her next sub if she decides to trade up and we can find one used for a reasonable price.

What didn't you like about the Mackie 15" subs?  Do you recall the model #(s) of the one(s) you owned?

Thanks!

Sherman: You won't find many kind words about Mackie on this forum. Although I'm looking to upgrade mine, I've had an SRS1500 for over 10 years and have used it probably a thousand times with very few problems. Also be aware that many people confuse the 1500 with the later models which I've heard aren't as good.

So would people say the KW181 is a big upgrade from the 1500?

JP

Sherman Johnson

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2011, 11:16:20 PM »

Sherman: You won't find many kind words about Mackie on this forum. Although I'm looking to upgrade mine, I've had an SRS1500 for over 10 years and have used it probably a thousand times with very few problems. Also be aware that many people confuse the 1500 with the later models which I've heard aren't as good.

JP

Thanks JP, I feel better now.  8)

I also thought that perhaps people were confusing the SRS1500 with the 1501.  That's understandable.  The SRS1500 we just bought was made in Italy which I understand means that it's probably a decent unit -- made before Mackie's quality took a nose dive.

I know a lot of people have had bad experiences with Mackie over the last few years.  From what I've heard Mackie quickly went downhill after Greg Mackie sold to Loud Technologies.  Being a big corporation they immediately began 'maximizing profit' which meant moving production to China and cutting the number of customer service personnel, among other things.

Prior to Greg selling though, Mackie had a great rep as far as I know. 

I'm dealing with them right now as a matter of fact.  I was misinformed by someone in their tech support dept who told me to order a 1/4" jack that I did not need, in order to modify my wife's Mackie 808M powered mixer.  They charged me almost $17 for this little 1/4" jack (that would probably sell for $1 at Radio Shack).  It was unnecessary so I've requested a refund.  If I don't hear back from them by tomorrow I'll dispute the charge with the credit card company.  Hopefully they'll do the right thing and it won't come to that.

BTW, her mixer which was built in 2001 (IIRC) has been a real work horse.  No problems at all, and she uses it regularly.   

« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 11:18:14 PM by Sherman Johnson »

Kurt Stephens

• SR Forums
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2011, 01:59:59 AM »

I've heard the Mackie SWA series on quite a few occasions and was never blown away by them. I've also used the QSC HPR series on many occasions - and loved them.

I would absolutely take a QSC HPR over a Mackie SWA - of course those are two completely different model ranges - but if I had to take a guess at what a direct comparison between an SRS1500 (heard only twice) and KW181(only read reviews) would sound like - I'd take the QSC no questions asked.

I don't think I'd buy anything from Mackie right now with the whole LOUD Technologies situation as described above. Even EAW I'm not so sure about for the price. Martin I haven't heard much about their changes.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 02:02:38 AM by Kurt Malkames »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2011, 01:59:59 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.