ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Goodwill score  (Read 3698 times)

Gus Housen

Goodwill score
« on: February 11, 2011, 08:49:16 PM »

So @ the local good will I was digging through the wall wart bin as i do, and found a sm58 and a peavey 380 neo for $5 each. Funny part was there was a guy there looking for mics but he only wanted mics with the cable attached.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Goodwill score
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 09:49:19 PM »

So @ the local good will I was digging through the wall wart bin as i do, and found a sm58 and a peavey 380 neo for $5 each. Funny part was there was a guy there looking for mics but he only wanted mics with the cable attached.
It is amazing what you can find at pawn shops-Goodwill stores and such.

I got a almost new Peavey CS800 for $25, a Phase linear 400 for $20, Yamaha dual 31 band eq $40, Sm58's for $25 ( yhou beat me on that one), and some other good buys over the years.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 12:44:01 AM »

I got a almost new Peavey CS800 for $25, a Phase linear 400 for $20, Yamaha dual 31 band eq $40, Sm58's for $25 ( yhou beat me on that one), and some other good buys over the years.

Ivan, you paid about $39 too much for that Yamaha EQ.

Just sayin... :-)
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

jason misterka

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 07:20:53 AM »

All the pawn shops around here now use ebay as a guide.  There are no more great deals.  Sometimes a good deal (if it works) but no great deals...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 08:46:53 AM »

Ivan, you paid about $39 too much for that Yamaha EQ.

Just sayin... :-)
As an after thought-many years later-you are correct.

But at the time (mid 80's) it was considered to be a good product (by most people).

It wasn't untill later and doing side by side testing that I realized that you get a "free blanket" sound with the Yamaha eq's.  When compared side by side to others they sound as if you threw a blanket over the loudspeakers.

But hey, it worked the whole time I owned it and I did a lot of gigs with them ( I ended up buying a good number more to match) and none of the artists I worked with complained-so in that case all was good-or seemed so anyway.

But I was glad to get rid of them
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 08:51:11 AM »

All the pawn shops around here now use ebay as a guide.  There are no more great deals.  Sometimes a good deal (if it works) but no great deals...
The reason I got the CS800 so cheap was that they said it was "broken".  I asked what was wrong with it and they said it didn't have a very loud output.  I asked them to show me, and they proceeded to plug a mic into the XLR jack in the back and a loudspeaker to the output.

Of course there was almost no output!  So I bought it and it worked fine for many years until I sold it.

I have seen several cases where people expect to plug a mic into the input of a power amp and expect it to put out full power.  One case was where I guy got really mad because he said I did not know how to fix amps to "work properly".  You can't fix stupid!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 08:51:11 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 20 queries.