ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm about to dive in!  (Read 12213 times)

Al Limberg

Re: I'm about to dive in!
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2004, 08:39:57 PM »

Hi Chris,
If you are using round aluminum panels, simply measure and go for it.  If you have decided to go with the square ones (which I did - 16" square actually) you can use a 'follow' router bit.  I simply use a 1" chipper bit and drill a hole 'inside' the module.  The 'follow' bit has a wheel on the bottom that follows the inside walls of the module and routes the appropriate hole in the 45x45 panel.  Now hopefully its obvious that only 3 sides will be able to follow the module sides.  I make the router cut along the back side of the module first, and then run the router about 6" up each side of the module.  then I stop and, using a square placed along the back 'rout', measure out 11" from each end and connect those two points with a line.  I then run the router along the sides out to that line, finishing those cuts.  Now its just a matter of tacking a straight piece of wood the proper distance out from the line to use as an edge to run the router against to make the front cut that isn't against a module sidewall.  
If you've followed this so far, let me make another suggestion.  Again I am making the assumption that you are using over-sized square aluminum panels.  I made a square template 22 1/2 x 22 1/2 which is the 16" of the panel plus 2x the offset of my router (you may need different measurements) and the bit I use to countersink the aluminum panel.  I carefully temporarily tack the template in the proper location and do the countersink BEFORE I do the last cut to open the access hole.  This leaves me a bigger surface to support the weight of the router as I do the countersink and makes it a bunch easier to control.  
Hope this helps = of course if you're doing them round, well, nevermind!  lol

Al
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside - Robert X. Cringely

Chris Parsons

• http://www.musicsantacruz.com
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2004, 08:58:17 PM »

part of the reason for useing aluminum for the entire access panel is that I won't have to deal with circles...I HATE circles!

I think I got what you're talkign about.  It will take a while to asorb.

You used 16" squares?  Isn't that bigger than the module side itself?

Thanks!

-Chris Parsons

Al Limberg

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2004, 09:35:38 PM »

You got it!!  Wish I could draw on this thing! Anyway, the the lids definitley overlap well outside of the module sides all the way around except at the portion covering the throat of the horn.  I mount the panel with countersunk 1/4-20 machine screws in to T-nuts and only two of them actually are inside the module - the others are outside the walls.  It makes life a whole lot easier if you mount the T-nuts before clsoing up the box.  Depending on how many you are building, the aluminum is a lot cheaper in bulk.  My last purchase was a 4'x10' sheet.  that got me 21  16x16" squares (admittedly a friend works for the city here and had access to a metal brake and we were able to cut it with that ourselves) but the entire sheet cost the same as buying just 8 precut squares from the same supplier!!

Al
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside - Robert X. Cringely

Chris Parsons

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2004, 02:12:54 AM »

do you have pictures?  I'm having problems seeing how this works.  (having access panels larger than the module sides)
thanks for your time.

-Chris

Marjan Milosevic

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2004, 03:08:01 AM »

This is not the best picture but it will give you the idea.
Just remove few milimetars for the access panel to fit in to the side panel, but i still use them like they are, just painted them recently.

Chris Parsons

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2004, 12:36:17 PM »

Ah I see.  I'm hopeing to get mine flush with the side actually.  

When Al said 16"x16" I thought he was also saying that the opening was that size.  

-Chris

Al Limberg

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2004, 12:43:33 PM »

Sorry I didn't have a good pic to demonstrate but it sounds like you've got it now.  The 16x16 is the size of the panel and it is countersunk in to the side via routing out the areas that aren't the actual hole to a depth of 1/4"

Al

Chris Parsons

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2004, 01:57:03 PM »

GOT CHA! Very Happy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.