ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: newbie question for powering a pair of labs in a single cabinet for a Home Theater  (Read 6907 times)

Dave Rickard

Also consider the problem of delay due to the length of the horn.  In live sound, you delay the tops to match the subs.  The PE amps won't delay the tops like a DSP crossover.  

I would post a question on the PE tech talk page about a 3 ohm load.  Direct your question to Darren.

daver
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Al

daver wrote on Thu, 09 September 2004 21:33

Also consider the problem of delay due to the length of the horn.  In live sound, you delay the tops to match the subs.  The PE amps won't delay the tops like a DSP crossover.  

I would post a question on the PE tech talk page about a 3 ohm load.  Direct your question to Darren.

daver

As for the load, I think that I would stick to one driver per channel.

Delay, Hmmmm, I'l have to see if the DSP section I have will allow or compensate for the delay out of a horn loaded sub.

Any idea what kind of delay time we are talking about?

Al

Phil Pope

• http://www.apacheacoustics.co.uk

you should delay the tops about 8ms.  alternatively if you have no delay section you could have your crossover point at about 130Hz (c/horn length, 340m/s / 2.8m).  This would mean that although the signal from the subs is not in time with the tops it is exactly one wavelength out at the crossover frequency and therefore still in phase at the frequencies where there is output from both speakers.  You may just be able to detect that the subs are slightly behind the tops but at least you will not have a dip in response at the crossover frequency.

Phil

Tim Padrick

If I were using LABs in a home situation, I'd use a Crown K1 or K2, which ever I could find at the right price on eBay.  For PA, I'd use a Bridged K2 per box, or a stereo CE4000 (one chennel per driver).

Dave Junius

I believe that your answer is yes. You would not want to wire up the drivers in the push-pull method that many car-audio iso-baric bandpass boxes are built with speakers in a clamshell configuration.

Dave in ATL
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 20 queries.