ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: newbie question for powering a pair of labs in a single cabinet for a Home Theater  (Read 6922 times)

Al

I'm a newbie to the lab 12 but not to speakers or electronics in general...

I am considering a single cabinet(dual driver) system to fill out the bass for a home theater application.

What kind of setup is normally used to power the 2 drivers in a signal cabinet? i.e. A mono amplifier connected to both speakers in parallel, a pair of amplifiers each driving a single speaker in phase with the other...?

Would a 500w sub amplifier (such as available from Parts Express) work for these in this environment, or could I get away with a discreet 120w(RMS)/ch stereo amp...

The theater room is 16x26 feet so I would expect that the efficiency of the horn loaded enclosure would make for modest power requirements.

Thanks for your input and views!

Al

Al

Re: newbie question for powering a pair of labs in a single cabinet
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 11:02:04 AM »

Hey guy's this is a genuine question, any takers?

Al

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 12:38:55 PM »

You don't mention if the speaker cabinet you are intending to build is in fact the LAB Sub that this forum relates to. the Lab12 driver was developed to work in this particular horn enclosure. The power handling may suffer if used in an enclosure that does not properly load the driver. The normal way to power these drivers is 2 of them on an amp channel, or i per amp channel. Because of the low impedance of the driver it is not wise to have more than 2 on an amp channel. Even with only 2 per channel you must have an amp capable of driving low impedance loads. A normal Hi-Fi type amp would not normally be capable of this.

Mac

kevinnemrava

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 12:40:52 PM »

some time is takes some time to get solution to question.

well first off most of the guys here are useing them for live sound.

HOWEVER I can't remeber who, but someone is use 2 labs, and SPL stuff to build a home theater. looks to be very promising.

Due to the horn design the effecency is way up there, so power wise, I would think 500 watts for home theater would be fine. you can power them how ever you want, how ever I would be carefull to make sure that you amp is reasonabley flat, sometimes "consumer" amps real start to tank in the low end.

one thing that may or may not work for you is to look in your local used "bargin finder" and see if there are any cheap Pro level amps.

Also I imagine you know this but you can really later teh sound of the sub basedon where you place it in the room , so put some thought in to that.

Kevin Nemrava

Al

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 01:03:36 PM »

Thanks, now we are off to a start! I know that most applications here are for live sound, but there is plenty of mention of home use too.  Smile

As for the enclosure, I planned to build the horn enclosure as profiled on ths forum.

As for placement in the room, that is very flexible at this point as I am building it with the home theater in mind and speaker placement (and screen) are the reason this room is being built, no compromises should be necessary!

I apologize for the lack of information in the original post, I have all of the details in my mind and I forget to share them when I type out the questions.

So, now back to driving these guys, given that there are 2 drivers in a single cabinet, each with a nominal 8 ohm impedance: For a home theater application would the best setup be a single amp channel for each driver? And should each driver see the same relative signal (i.e. in phase mono) or ?

Mike MacWillie

the LAB12's are actually 6 ohm drivers.. so if you use a single chanel amp, you're going to need one that's stable to atleast 3 ohms. THat's not too common for a home audio amp..

Al

Michael M wrote on Mon, 06 September 2004 11:04

the LAB12's are actually 6 ohm drivers.. so if you use a single chanel amp, you're going to need one that's stable to atleast 3 ohms. THat's not too common for a home audio amp..

So your suggesting that the drivers get wired in parallel, rather then one driver per channel?

Mike MacWillie

I was suggesting that you can go either way. If you parallel them, you will need an amp capable of driving a 3 ohm load. If you run one driver per chanel, then most any home amp will do.  

Al

Michael M wrote on Mon, 06 September 2004 13:51

I was suggesting that you can go either way. If you parallel them, you will need an amp capable of driving a 3 ohm load. If you run one driver per chanel, then most any home amp will do.  

That's good news! I have a 120w/ch stereo amp that I would like to try with this setup, either that or buy a couple of dedicated sub amplifiers...(i.e. Parts Express)

So my other question was about what signal to send to the pair of speakers?

Would you supply a mono signal to both, in phase or an in phase signal to one and out of phase to the other?

Al

Mike MacWillie

You'd send the same signal to both drivers.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.