ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heat sinks?  (Read 3098 times)

Alan Searchwell

Heat sinks?
« on: August 30, 2004, 10:25:38 PM »

In the 14th reply to Jeremy Bridges post on burning voice coils (message #14623), Phil raises an interesting point about the heat sinks that had been bothering me for a while. For example, if you use a center stack of four lab subs, that is two high, two wide, on their sides with the mouths touching, what happens to the six drivers that don't have a heat sink in contact with the air?

My guess is that the two on the ground can dissipate some heat into the ground (albeit that most flooring materials are lousy conductors), but the two other pairs are in contact with each other. Where does the heat go? Has anybody apart from Jeremy had any failures due to heating? Was the fact that the heat sink was covered a factor?  
Searchie in Kingston

Dinero

Re: Heat sinks?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 11:54:08 PM »

That is something that i have always wondered myself. No matter how they are arranged most of the heatsinks won't be exposed to the air.

Rick

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2004, 07:31:05 AM »

Yes, interesting topic.  I assume that if one driver was considerably hotter than the other, there would be problems.

I run a couple of labs nightly at a local club. These two don’t even have aluminium port covers to access the drivers; we have simply covered them in. If we ever need to get to the drives, it will be a problem, I know Confused .
Heat wise, they have gone without problems for a very long time now. They are not pushed extremely hard though. But I am unsure of what sort of heat issues would arise if they were given max power.

I would be interested to hear more in regards to heat issues.

Thanks

Edu Silva

• http://audiolist.org
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2004, 06:09:21 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.