ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Single-18" Subwoofers  (Read 10882 times)

bo putnam

Second Decade
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2004, 11:06:45 PM »

bo

SOUNDsupport

<font size="1">oops - wrong door...</font>

bo putnam

Second Decade
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2004, 11:12:50 PM »

Before closing, albeit even temporarily, I thought I'd harp on the Second Decade.

The so-called "Second Decade" is the range that commonly troubles live sound applications - it is the range where fundamental frequencies and related harmonics conspire to ruin attempts at feedback-free, clear live sound. This is a notoriously difficult range to "tame". It is right in the center of the vocal range, and is where acoustic guitars and other sources can very effectively be fattened or thinned. In short, it is critical.  If at all possible, I would avoid a bi-amp crossover in that range, JMO.

index.php/fa/426/0/
bo

SOUNDsupport

<font size="1">oops - wrong door...</font>

Tim Padrick

Re: Single-18" Subwoofers
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2004, 11:51:58 PM »

Tops: JBL MP412.  Above that, the Yorkville U15.  Both very good sounding boxes.

Sub: Peavey QW218.  A single 2x18 box will be a lot better value than a pair of 1x18 boxes, because it costs almost as much to build the little box as it does the big one.  A centrally located 2x18 will do a lot better (in most situations) than left & right 1x18s (http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/SubwooferInfo.htm)

Make sure you have plenty of power (rule of thumb is that the amp should be rated 2x the continuous rating of the speaker).
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.