ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LABsub weight  (Read 5062 times)

ThomasA(lbenberger)

LABsub weight
« on: August 26, 2004, 10:39:19 AM »

Hi all!

My apologies if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find anything through the "search" function, so here it comes:

What is the weight of YOUR LABsub?

From what I understand, there are three versions of the LABsub out there, and there also are different types of wood in use. So if you could tell me about the weight of your subs, would you please also be so kind to state which type of wood you used for it?

I don't care about +- a few kg for handles or wheels, please just give me a rough idea what to expect, since I'm currently planning a mobile system with 6 of the LABsubs and weight is a major concern here.

BTW: Do you think 6 LABsubs properly powered and center-stacked would be overkill to 4 EAW KF650e (2 per side, flown)? Music is Rock/Pop and crowd-size up to 800 outdoors.

Thanks so much for your help!

Cheers, Thomas
Thomas Albenberger

Jon McDowell

• http://jbe-inc.com
Re: LABsub weight
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 12:03:37 PM »

Hi Thomas. My version 1 subs built from 13ply baltic birch weigh in at about 260lbs each. As to your other question, you should be able to get by on 4 subs, but with 6 you would get a little more low end extension. I just ran sound for Throwdown and Bleeding Through in a 1000+ seat venue with 4 subs a side. Each block of 4 was powered by a PL4.0. With the amps tapping the -10db light, the sound riser was vibrating so much my feet were going numb. Cool

Hope this helps, Jon McDowell

ThomasA(lbenberger)

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2004, 12:22:52 AM »

Hi Jon!

Thanks very much for the info! 260lbs is way more than I expected.

Now that you mention the fact that you drove 4 LABs off one amp this leads me to another question:

Which amps are commonly known for their ability to drive loads under 2 Ohms without problems - or in other words: Is anyone else here driving 4 LABs off one amp?

Thanks,

Thomas
Thomas Albenberger

danfowler

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 01:25:39 PM »

You'd need to do that with a Crest 10004. Shocked

later,
Dan o:)

Tom Herr

• http://www.tandjsound.com
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 04:22:55 PM »

My version ones 13ply BB are also 260 lbs.
As for power I would suggest QSC PL6II. Will run 4 labhorns all day and night without complaining.
Tom Herr
T&J Sound
Custom Speakers

Chris Dobson

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 09:32:49 PM »

Ours also weigh in at about 255 -260. We run 4 subs with a Crown 5K that never gets warm.

-Chris
Silent Partner Productions

Eric Wong!

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 11:55:04 AM »

Silent Partner wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 21:32

Ours also weigh in at about 255 -260. We run 4 subs with a Crown 5K that never gets warm.

-Chris
Silent Partner Productions

Wow, they are 255 lbs?  Wow.  I'm definately not building these haha, way too heavy for my rig, although I still would like to build a set just to try.

Also, I have a Crown 5K as well, how do you have yours configured to run 4 units?  Parallel mono?  

Chris Dobson

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 01:37:22 PM »

We run ours parallel/mono, so each side sees the same signal  - 1.5 - 2 ohms per side. We also run aux fed subs, and it seems to work very well.  Our labs are 13 ply birch, finished with Polane, heavy duty hardware, large casters and steel grills. I'm sure they could be built lighter.  

In small clubs, we only bring in 2 labs, and it shakes the beer bottles!

-Chris

ThomasA(lbenberger)

Re: LABsub weight and amp for 4 LABs
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2004, 11:59:44 PM »

Thanks gentlemen for your input. I did not expect 260 pounds per sub, but maybe I can save some weight by driving 4 subs off one amp.

You guys mentioned the PL4, PL6II, Crest10001 and Crown 5k for being suitable for this task. If anyone has experience with other amp models for this application I'd be glad to hear it. Is anybody using Crest 9001s?

Best regards, Thomas
Thomas Albenberger
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.