ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I change to LABs?  (Read 4978 times)

Christopher Myers

Should I change to LABs?
« on: August 21, 2004, 02:10:08 PM »

Hi, my name is Chris, this is my first post to the board.  I'm a partner in a small PA company in NJ.  We mostly do outdoor folk and classic rock festivals, and some school-auditorium-sized indoor shows.  

We currently have two horn-loaded Yorkville LS1208's.  They work well, but I'm always looking for new things, and the LABs look promising.  How would a pair of the LABs compare to the Yorkville's?  A QSC RMX2450 will most likely be powering them.  

I'd be grateful for any help. Thanks.
Chris Myers
Tangent Productions, LLC

Kevin Thys

Re: Should I change to LABs?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 06:07:12 PM »

Hi Chris,

I don't know the answer on your question, but I would like to ask you a question about these LS1208. Did you compare these speakers with other cabinets? Maybe with the LS1004?
When I look at the spec's the LS1208 had 3dB more sensivity then the LS1004 and it's just an 8Ohm speaker. So when I have 2 pair of LS1208's I can still use the same power amp and I don't have to run the powe amp at 4Ohm bridge mode, but in 8Ohm bridge wich would be better. On the other side I think when you have 2 speakers moving they move more air so the pressure would be greater?
But SPL is in fact pressure so is the power they produce in use also bigger from the 1208 then the 1004?

Greets Kevin

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 08:34:58 AM »

Elliot

I was waiting for someone more qualified to answer your
question, and, see this is getting off topic. So....lets
keep this on topic!  Smile

VacuousZounds1
Hi, my name is Chris, this is my first post to the board.  I'm a partner in a small PA company in NJ.  We mostly do outdoor folk and classic rock festivals, and some school-auditorium-sized indoor shows.  

We currently have two horn-loaded Yorkville LS1208's.  They work well, but I'm always looking for new things, and the LABs look promising.  How would a pair of the LABs compare to the Yorkville's?  A QSC RMX2450 will most likely be powering them.

Elliot

Hello Chris. Welcome to the board. Two Lab Subs will
obliterate two LS 1208s. They (The Labs) are capable
to go lower, cleaner, and, should be more efficent
as well.

Now the bad news. The QSC RMX 2450 is a baby for these
boxes. One Lab Sub is 3 ohm Nominal, so, you will have
to run your RMX 2450 stereo mode. They are also larger
than those yorkvilles (45x45x22.5), so, truck space,
and, user mobility may be a factor here.

Best Regards,
Elliot

Phil Pope

• http://www.apacheacoustics.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 04:25:48 PM »

with vc heating and the load of the horn the load presented to the amplifier is well in excess of 4 ohms isn't it?

Jim Mullen

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 08:27:32 PM »

Hi Chris,  I went thru this last year and for a number of reasons elected to buy four LS1208's.  I compared the actual response graphs for one Labsubs and one LS1208, and actually based on the response curves anyways, between about 40hz to 75hz the LS1208 has more output, and is much flatter in response from 45hz out to 100hz.  They have about the same output (97db at around 37hz).  The Labsub response curve has a nice bump in output (approx 2db at about 35hz).  I drive two LS1208s with a CE4000 in bridge mode(2800watts@4ohms).  Four LS1208s together is an entertaining audio experience.  They are very reasonable in cost with a great warranty. They are physically larger than a LabSub however, but you have a couple so you know what they are like to move, not too bad except for a bit awkward size I think. Ask Shale Leech at Yorkville for a response curve for the LS1208s.  So until you can compare the LS1208s with the LabSubs side by side under good testing conditions, or someone else can report on such a comparison (which hasn't been done so far as I can tell) I wouldn't necessarily count out the LS1208s.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.