ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 15 with 2 inch horn or quasi three way  (Read 8642 times)

brad smith

Re: 2 15 with 2 inch horn or quasi three way
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2004, 11:38:17 AM »

And to add to all the craziness as what i should do, I remembered the CEX that I bought that has been out of the loop. Should I hook that up and run bi amp stereo versus three way mono. I had troubled when I hooked up the CEX with the settings. I programmed the unit for the DTH 4215/218 rig but was real unsure as to some of the settings like the DBV value for the GPS amps. GPS 1500, GPS 3500 , and GPS 2600's. I did not have enough time to really work out the kinks on my own so I unracked the CEX and went back to analog. Should I run an EQ with the CEX or just go CRAZY.  I'm planning on lowering the crossover to about 80-100 for the lows and still triamp to see what happens , but I figure that if I can get the CEX to work right with my rig that would be the best deal. I also have a REAL sound eng. LOcal guy coming to help spec everything out when he can foot me into his schedule.

Sorry for the length,

Brad

Dave Rickard

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2004, 01:50:58 PM »

Brad,

The CEX changes things a bit.  I haven't worked with that exact unit, so I'll try and stay out of trouble by being general, and hope others will correct me if I'm wrong.

1.  The 4215's are -3dB @50 Hz, and -10dB @ 36Hz.  So send your signal to the CEX, set one set of outputs to HP filter @ 36-40Hz and feed this to the 4215 amp(s).  The box is tuned to 48Hz, so you may have excursion/distortion issues, at high power, below 48Hz.  Only you can answer this.

2.  Set another set of outputs to LP around 80-100Hz (to taste) and run this to your sub amp(s).

With the main EQ flat, adjust the output of the two sections to balance the subs and mains.  Then, add your EQ to correct or enhance.

Any other opinions?

daver

Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2004, 02:43:40 PM »

I think the CEX is only a stereo biamp processor. I could be wrong, I have never seen one. If it is, by all means use the CEX to process your DTH4215's as stereo biamp using the factory presets that are available for download on the Peavey website, and use your TDM to create a sub feed with a 35Hz HPF and an 80--90Hz LPF. The input to the TDM can be the same full range signal that goes to the CEX if you want to run the whole system as a stereo triamp, or it could be a feed from an aux send if you want to go to aux fed subs. If you have the amps available this would be the way I would go.

Mac Kerr

Ronnie Blenden

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2004, 04:51:41 PM »

Yes, "anotherdave" it may not be as pro or even anywhere near pro, but if you would refer to the original post it was never mentioned that this was for any touring or production company.  Only a group that plays small to medium clubs with the occasional outside gig.  Lighten up people!!!

Dave Rickard

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2004, 07:08:14 PM »

I would amend my post to agree with Mac.  I forgot you can biamp the 4215's (duh!).  Just don't filter out the lows from the woofers, unless you can place the HP filter around 40 Hz.

Balancing your response with the crossovers as much as possible should still be done prior to EQing.

daver
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Douglas R. Allen

• http://-
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2004, 07:26:54 PM »

bsmith wrote on Fri, 27 August 2004 11:38

And to add to all the craziness as what i should do, I remembered the CEX that I bought that has been out of the loop. Should I hook that up and run bi amp stereo versus three way mono. I had troubled when I hooked up the CEX with the settings. I programmed the unit for the DTH 4215/218 rig but was real unsure as to some of the settings like the DBV value for the GPS amps. GPS 1500, GPS 3500 , and GPS 2600's. I did not have enough time to really work out the kinks on my own so I unracked the CEX and went back to analog. Should I run an EQ with the CEX or just go CRAZY.  I'm planning on lowering the crossover to about 80-100 for the lows and still triamp to see what happens , but I figure that if I can get the CEX to work right with my rig that would be the best deal. I also have a REAL sound eng. LOcal guy coming to help spec everything out when he can foot me into his schedule.

Sorry for the length,

Brad

Hello
I have 3 cex's and have spent allot of time with them.
I have a dth218b Qw 1 rig as well as some SP1g's as well.

Unless you have access to smaart,tef etc I would not recommend having the tops full range with added subs. The box tunings are different. Also removing the inductor will cause cancellation problems because of the distance the two 15's centers are apart.

The Cex will go 2 way stereo A-B. 3 way with the 4th output from B in. 4 way mono. As well as delay lines with the input delay of 650 ms being placed on the outputs.

The gps 3500 is 4.5 dbv.
I can check the rest if you need it. The peavey settings should get you close.
I do have some smaart outside, cex settings for the horns and subs but your mids are different.

Where do you hail from?

Doug
Allen Audio

"The worst thing is."
"You can't teach common sense."

Travis Valois

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2004, 02:23:41 PM »

By wiring the 2 15's in parallel you may end up with comb filtering issues throught he midrange band.  The double 15 cabs we use at one of the clubs I do some work in has this issue.  An abusive DJ blew one of the 15's and the midrange with the one dead speaker in the cabinet was much better that the cab with 2 working 15's.  

This does not appear to be as much an issue with double 12" cabs.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.