ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL MP225  (Read 4298 times)

jsaggio

JBL MP225
« on: August 19, 2004, 02:36:36 PM »

Hey gang...

I've read the complaints about dual 15 2-way FOH speakers, and I don't totally disagree...however, with my budget and experience level, they are what I bought. I'm powering them with a PLX1602...paralleled inputs and 500w @4ohms per side. Do you thing this is enough juice/spl for clubs holding 100 to 200 people? (Classic rock cover band)

In the future I'm planning on setting one of the EAW fr159z (15" 3way) on top on each side with their own amp/board-send to handle mainly vocals, keys and guitar...phase problems?

I'd love to hear/have discussion on how folks have made the mp225 work for them...Is there special EQ ...say around 250-400 cycles that can minimize the muddiness that folks have experienced? I'm not a fan of increasing gain in different frequencies...just decreasing certain offensive bands...

Maybe 15 years of standing in front of 4 celestions pumping 100 british(well, california watts now) watts has upset my hearing some but these speakers sound very decent to me.

thanks...Joe

Travis Valois

Re: JBL MP225
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 02:27:07 PM »

Those speakers use the bottom model 2412 horn driver.  Try replacing the horn drivers with something better, even a 2418 driver.  It's a better and flatter driver.

Raymon Sanchez

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 03:22:19 AM »

We use the MP225's 2 per side over the jbl srx 4719 and they sound really good. I know the HF driver is not that great on them, thats why for outdoor shows we stack a jbl mp415 over each side, this really makes a big difference and the sound really carries. I was thinking of just swaping the HF driver of the MP415 to the mp225 since we have 4 of them, the mp415 has the  JBL 2406H and it sounds alot better than the one in the mp225. I have talked to JBL about it and they have said they will fit but that the crossover settings built in might not match and sound good. I wish they made a MP400 series dual 15, the mp415 rocks but it doest look very big for big outdoor shows. Anyone out there know of a better HF driver to put into the mp225 that will match? I have owned them for over a year and people seem to really like the way they sound but I know that the MP415 sounds way better, but they dont really notice as long as its loud and the bass is slamming in there chest and the mix is good.I know JBL came out with the new SRX700 but have heard no reviews on them so I am really not interested in upgrading until some real testing has been done on there dual 15 two ways.

Raymon
www.ddsproductions.com

Ken Dowell

• http://baycitysound.net
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 08:06:34 AM »

I have been using a pair of MP225's over a pair of MP255's subs for over 2 years now and I think they sound great for the price. I did have to replace the sub drivers and I replaced them with 2225's. I too think in the smaller venues (100-200 ppl)they cut pretty well. I power them each with a rmx2450 bridged. Plenty of headroom! In the larger rooms or outside, I add an old pair of Community GGM subs(2x15 2226's) and a pair of sr4725a's mid/hi's. This setup cut's the inside pretty well but outside is a little weak in the hi's. I am thinking of biamping the MP225's and running a 3 way through our dbx drpa. I will change out the drivers in them to either 2425's or 2426's. I'll let you know how this sounds because I plan to do this in the next couple of weeks.
Ken Dowell

Bay City Sound and Lighting
Pasadena,Md.
http://www.baycitysound.net

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.