ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LABforum issues  (Read 4947 times)

Michael_Elliston¶

• http://www.geocities.com/xobt
LABforum issues
« on: August 24, 2004, 12:09:25 AM »

Hi all.
I see a slight problem here.As well as wasting bandwidth,its wasting peoples time a little.

1. Off topic posts
2. Weak search engine which can result in the next issue
3. Repeated question asking,which wastes peoples time like JS,too tall etc when they have already answered other people.

How to fix it? Moderator who locks silly posts and chucks a page of Links at the person,which will answer their questions 95% of the time?

At the minimum we can unlock the Documentation sticky thread,and add Informative infos about the labsub that people are always asking about.

Cheers!
Mike.e

Graeme Goodacre [Centauri

• http://www.centauriaudio.com.au
Re: LABforum issues
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 07:50:14 AM »

Regarding point 1 of off-topic posts, I think some of the problem here is the naming of the forum.  "LAB Subwoofer" would seem to be a general sub discussion forum to new visitors.  Maybe renaming it to "ProSoundWeb LabSub Project" or something like that will solve the problem.

In the "LSP Documentation" sticky, maybe a direct link to the LabSub archives would be appropriate for newcommers to find this info easily.

Cheers
Graeme

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 08:22:11 AM »

I glad to hear, I'm not the only one, noticing
so many non Lab Sub questions.

A "Sticky" on what this forum is steered
for would be higly recomended.

Elliot

Dave Rickard

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 10:38:10 PM »

Maybe a LABSUB project FAQ page.

daver
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Michael_Elliston¶

• http://www.geocities.com/xobt
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 11:54:55 PM »

Certainly.I have a few links of the posts relating to the design of this sub.

Also i think the information is abit inaccessable for the interested person about the labsub-because he walks into this forum,asks lastmonths question,and gets small response from guys repeating themselves again..an FAQ would fix most of it-and then the guys who do have serious info/experience can answer the more fitting posts that respect the attention and require their person.

I would have to say, the top asked questions are

1. How much power
2. Other drivers possible(and why not)
3. Filter/delay settings for certain usages
4. 18mm plans(fixed recently)
5. Subwoofer shootout results/link(the one i always lose!)

add to the list.

Perhaps im idealistic,but i know things could be a little more clearer for the labsub novice.

Dave Rickard

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 02:23:12 AM »

mike_nz wrote on Wed, 25 August 2004 04:54

I would have to say, the top asked questions are

1. How much power
2. Other drivers possible(and why not)
3. Filter/delay settings for certain usages
4. 18mm plans(fixed recently)
5. Subwoofer shootout results/link(the one i always lose!)

add to the list.

Also often seen is "Should I use LABs or (insert company here) dual 18's for this application?"  and "What's the difference?"  So maybe a general comparison of strengths and weaknesses of each design.

Efficiency advantages, size , weight, construction difficulty, combinations and placement, multiple horn coupling vs. direct radiating coupling, etc...
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Craig Leerman

• http://www.techworksvegas.com
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 03:54:03 PM »

Quote:

I see a slight problem here.As well as wasting bandwidth,its wasting peoples time a little.

1. Off topic posts  

Any posts that are not about the LAB SUB, or subwoofer theory, application, use, information, etc are usually deleted quickly.  Unfortunately, the past three weeks I have been on the road and have had only sporadic access to the internet.    Now that I am back at home, there should not be any problems.                  

This forum is not just about the LAB sub in particular, but is also open for general subwoofer theory and application discussion as well. While many of the folks here have already built Labs, or are thinking about building them, a lot of others are here for the general info and knowledge, and are not interested in actually building the LAB subs.  

Quote:

2. Weak search engine which can result in the next issue

The entire site has suffered from a Search Engine issue since our inception. Dave  has come back aboard to help straighten out the search issues, as well as implement a better site wide search engine system.  This will take a bit of time to get implemented, as the site uses lots of different scripts and programs for its different forums.  

If you don't have any luck with the current search engine, try using google for a search (add the words prosoundweb or LAB subwoofer to your search) or try using Dave's own "Charlotte" Search Engine here.

http://www.roaddog.com/search/swish.cgi              

Quote:

3. Repeated question asking,which wastes peoples time like JS,too tall etc when they have already answered other people.

I can't stop people from asking questions or physically make them read and search the archives before they post. This problem is webwide on almost all forums, because in general, most people are too lazy to do any research for themselves. Prosoundweb has addressed this problem by having moderators actively involved in the forums, as well as relying on the community members themselves to help.

We only have three choices when it comes to a poster who asks a question that has been beaten to death. Once choice is to simply inform them that the question has been asked and tell them to search for the answer.  The second choice is to actually link or point them to an answer or previous discussion about the topic.  The last choice is to simply delete their post.  

I will not delete a persons posts simply because they have not searched over 5 years of archives, or they can't figure out the
poor Search Engine on our site. Also, some posts are not deleted immediately so as to give the original poster time to view the response(s).

There are multiple ways to view the threads and posts available to you.  Even if you are on a slow computer or dial up, you should be able to pick a viewing style that will allow you to skip over and not read these type of posts (so as not to waste your time).  

Quote:

How to fix it? Moderator who locks silly posts and chucks a page of Links at the person,which will answer their questions 95% of the time?

At the minimum we can unlock the Documentation sticky thread,and add Informative infos about the labsub that people are always asking about.        

Posts are either left open because they pertain to a discussion or are relevant, or they are deleted. Locking "silly" posts would be a waste of time and bandwidth. Either a post is relevant or it is not.      

The documentation threads are locked because they are just the plans and specs on the subs.  Those areas on the old LAB SUB FORUM were not in the threads, but were located in the margins. On this new forum, there was no room to have a plans and specs area, so they are located in the threads and are locked.  If you want to discuss any aspect of those locked threads, do it here on the forums.

Craig Leerman
Forum Moderator
Prosoundweb.com

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

Dave Rickard

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 07:16:58 PM »

Craig,

Your approach makes, though an FAQ post might still be a good idea.

Thanks for your efforts,
daver
(a non-LABsub owner who likes theory posts, and great sound)
Dave
Yorkville dealer

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.