ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rant on BE's  (Read 3302 times)

Mike Sveda

• http://www.cohglory.org/Sunday@7/index.html
Rant on BE's
« on: July 28, 2004, 04:23:52 PM »

As a system tech in a 2200 seat Church that is doing a concert every Sunday night with touring bands/artists I have seen some interesting things this year in regards to BE's.

There was one BE who came in, plugged his IPOD into the console, called up some techno and heavy metal stuff (at the limits of the house system) and proceded to EQ the house to that instead of the band or trusting the house curve.  

Some of these BE's also do not ask how the room responds and reacts. Trust me, when you hit the limit the room lets you know that you cannot push anymore without it being very painful.

Some jsut drive the console hard....with a Verona the subgroups were at +21 consistently!   All I heard was mush.  Never asked how to make things sound good in the house..

There were a couple guys that did do a wonderful job.  Of course, when the band has no BE, the show sounds great.  We strive for clarity of vocals and instruments without harshness and beating you down with high spl.  

I hate not having clarity in the mix.  Sometimes the bass guitar is all mush, a consisten low end fill.

It's really hard to let someone drive your system when you know how to make it sound good and they turn it into mush.

-----------------------

Add:

I need to apologize for my harshness. I did not mean to slam BE's. I think BE's and the house guys just need to work better together to make a great show. The BE knows how the band should sound and the house guys know how the house systems sound. We just need to set ego's and pride aside and make a great mix for the audience to enjoy.

Tim McCulloch

Re: Rant on BE's
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 07:27:02 PM »

Mike S wrote on Wed, 28 July 2004 15:23

It's really hard to let someone drive your system when you know how to make it sound good and they turn it into mush.
As a regional provider system tech, I'm very well aware of what an unfortunate number of BE's can do... and how they can do great one show, and have bad sounding show the next time.  In fairness, many time the "good yesterday, bad today" thing happens because of the players; either they're not together, someones sick, or they are just having a bad day.  Sometimes the band is fine and the mixperson is the one having the bad day.

Too often, the BE is not up to the caliber of the act.  Some of them aren't willing to listen to my comments about the room (we work a number of rooms very regularly), and others think my coverage needs to be re-done (there's a long, not very amusing story about this one...).  Most of these result in bad sound.

Scenario- me standing off the mix riser, promoter approaches.. "why does it sound bad?  Is something blown?"  "Nope... but if you don't like where the bus is headed, talk to the driver" and I point to the noizeboi.

Mike, I realize that this doesn't help your situation... and I don't think there is anything that will.  The beast is what it is.  

There are sufficiently good mixers out there, though.  I really like it when I can shake hands with the BE at the end of the show and say "thanks for making *music* come out of the rig.  You're welcome anytime."

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Mike Sveda

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 07:35:12 PM »

Tim McCulloch wrote on Wed, 28 July 2004 19:27

Mike S wrote on Wed, 28 July 2004 15:23

I really like it when I can shake hands with the BE at the end of the show and say "thanks for making *music* come out of the rig.  You're welcome anytime."

Yes, it is nice when someone can make the system shine and the band sound great.

Dave Walker

• http://www.okcbackup.com
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 03:02:54 AM »

Tim McCulloch wrote on Wed, 28 July 2004 18:27

There are sufficiently good mixers out there, though.  I really like it when I can shake hands with the BE at the end of the show and say "thanks for making *music* come out of the rig.  You're welcome anytime."
Tim Mc

So very true. I like to think that the majority of BE's I run across know how to do their job, but that might be wishful thinking on my part. However, sometimes.....

We did a show Fri nite with Pat Green at a county fair. It was the second day of what became a nightmare of almost everything going wrong or screwed up in one way or another. Surprisingly, the PA went in with no problem and sounded great. When the band came in, we got the stage set and had a very smooth soundcheck (except for when the lighting genny, half the capacity than what was spec'd, tho the vendor failed to mention that to anyone, literally caught fire and almost melted down).

Showtime came and the combination of an amazingly enthusiastic audience, a band that kicked ass and had fun doing it, and a crew that had a good rig and knew exactly how to run it, turned a potentially horrendous nite into one that reminds me of why I do this.

So, Christian and Kelley....I look forward to next time, and you're welcome on my rig anytime. Thanks!!!

Mike Sveda

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 02:11:07 PM »

I need to apologize for my harshness.  I did not mean to slam BE's.  I think BE's and the house guys just need to work better together to make a great show.  The BE knows how the band should sound and the house guys know how the house systems sound. We just need to set ego's and pride aside and make a great mix for the audience to enjoy.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 20 queries.