Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Soldering precautions on horn driver?

(1/1)

David Allred:
I have an apparent broken solder joint on one of the terminals on a horn driver.  Sound intermittantly goes out in use.  Pressing on the connector in one direction - horn works.  Pressing on the connector in the other direction horn doesn't.  Connector to terminal is secure.
Are there any precautions that I need to take to prevent damage to the vc from heat, or can I just remelt the solder and be done with it? I have a standard Radio Shack pencil.  Not sure if it is a 25w or a 40w.

Thanks,
David

Chris Hindle:

--- Quote from: David Allred on February 11, 2011, 02:37:54 PM ---I have an apparent broken solder joint on one of the terminals on a horn driver.  Sound intermittantly goes out in use.  Pressing on the connector in one direction - horn works.  Pressing on the connector in the other direction horn doesn't.  Connector to terminal is secure.
Are there any precautions that I need to take to prevent damage to the vc from heat, or can I just remelt the solder and be done with it? I have a standard Radio Shack pencil.  Not sure if it is a 25w or a 40w.
Thanks,
David

--- End quote ---
I would clip a heatsink between the solder point and the diaphragm. Solder quick and clean.
(a heatsink is anthing metal you can clip on the lead. Locking surgical clamps are my favorite, but alligator clips and even roach clips work just fine.)

Jordan Wolf:

--- Quote from: Chris Hindle on February 11, 2011, 06:29:04 PM ---(...and even roach clips work just fine.)

--- End quote ---
;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version