Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DILEMA  (Read 3207 times)

ivan

DILEMA
« on: July 07, 2004, 12:25:02 PM »

hi, my church holds max 160 people. we have cathedral sealing. the floor plan is a rectangle. i have limited budget (10,000 +). one consultant came and suggested that we should get an mx9000 behringer, and all the compressors and effects behringer. i have a small mixer and i am happy with it, but i am not sure if it is going to work on a live environment well. i have eon 15's as main speaker (which i don't like) all the system was installed buy one guy and never work well until everything burned. i know that you need more details, but i can provide them. please tell me what speaker are good, mixer, etc.

Mike Galica

• http://www.maskilstudios.com
Re: DILEMA
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 01:31:03 AM »

Before I can really help you I have two questions.  Is the system used primarily for speech or music reinforcement?  If music, is it a full praise band with drums/guitars/etc or a choir and organ?  Second question, just how live is live?  Are we talking 3 seconds or 5 seconds?  Hope we can help a bit.
Mike Galica

Phil Ouellette

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 09:06:02 AM »

ivan wrote on Wed, 07 July 2004 12:25

hi, my church holds max 160 people. we have cathedral sealing. the floor plan is a rectangle. i have limited budget (10,000 +). one consultant came and suggested that we should get an mx9000 behringer, and all the compressors and effects behringer. i have a small mixer and i am happy with it, but i am not sure if it is going to work on a live environment well. i have eon 15's as main speaker (which i don't like) all the system was installed buy one guy and never work well until everything burned. i know that you need more details, but i can provide them. please tell me what speaker are good, mixer, etc.

Don't give that "consultant" any more of your time.  The single most important part of any sound system is the speakers.  Picking the right speakers for your room (and determining where to hang them) is not something that you are going to get answered on-line.  I would suggest getting a real audio consultant to evaluate your room. If it turns out there is no one qualified in  your area then it is often possible to do most of the design work from building blueprints and photo's.

There is no official body that anoints audio consultants.  The things to look for in a consultant include:

Formal training (Engineering degree).
Industry Training (Syn-Aud-Con is the best training in the industry).
Background/Experience
Customer References (churches that have used them and will talk to you about them).

A lot of good audio consultants hang out on the CSC (church sound check) list serv.  It is worth it to sign up for their email discussion group www.churchsoundcheck.com

FYI: The moderator of this forum (Tom Young) is a reputable consultant, tell us where you are located and I'm sure we can steer you to somebody who is worth talking too.  

ivan

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 10:07:39 PM »

see, the thing is that i am trying to get as much information as possible. i don't want to get a guy that is a genius an he is selling me a cat for a rabbit (figuratively speaking). i want to know with my limited budget, what can i expect. i have drums, keyboard, 2 guitars, bass, 4 to 5 singer & pulpit. since i have limited space i was looking for an electronic drum set (and lower my stage volume from monitors) the speakers are hanging at the end of the stage (looking at the stage from the back of the church) i am located in los angeles area. since my venue is small it is really hard to get a consultant to go there an take a look at the church. if you go to this link you can see more or less how is the roof, i don't have pics from inside in that web page http://centrofamiliardefe.org/ thanks

globalaudiovideo

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 04:44:06 PM »

Hi.  Ya, Phil was definitely on the right track there.  Getting the room and the speaker array(s) tuned right is without a doubt your most important place to start.  You can work your way to the little stuff like processing later.  All of that won't do you a bit of good if you are in a room with a 3 second delay and speakers with poor frequency response and/or directivity.  This is especially true if you are doing contemporary services with a band and everything else on stage.  Also, as long as your front-of-house console is a decent board and has enough channels to get by (even if it's behringer or mackie), it's preamps and everything should be sufficient for now.  Feel free to e-mail me or anybody else here if you have further questions about this or want some help with accomplishing this.

Steve

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 04:44:06 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 23 queries.