ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: So thats a use for it!  (Read 14076 times)

analog Tom

Re: So thats a use for it!
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2004, 05:17:20 PM »

After the great job Craig did, I'm going to try to post two pictures in a pair of sequential messages.  

The first picture is a bitmapped squeezed image of two EV model 666 mics, the type that started this thread.  The second is of an EV model 642, wearing an elastic mount for boom use.  These were created with the PC "paint" program, as suggested by ScottR, however my old Win98 paint program won't save to .jpg, only .bmp.  

In the picture, note that the left 666 is an older model, and it has a shorter, rounded grill than the one on the right.  As far as I know, almost all production 666s had the grill type shown on the right mic.  

Also notice the stand clips.  Both of these are EV model 300.  If you got a 666 back in the '60s, you got the left hand metal clip with plastic insert.  If you got a later 666, you got the right hand plastic clip.  

In this picture you can see all four of the sound entrances (yah, I know my earlier post said three entrances).  The front grill is the main entrance.  The large holes on each side of the head were the first rear entrances.  The little "button" on top, just where the "spine" joins the head is the third entrance.  And then at the end of the spine there is a fourth, small hole, entrance.  

Between the mics is the female UA-3 cable end which mates with the UA-3M mounted in the rear of the mic.  

Cordially,  
Tom

analog Tom

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2004, 05:46:32 PM »

OK, so the last one (of the 666s) didn't come up on the message screen.  But if you hit the link, it comes up ok.  

This attachment is of the EV 642.  When Criag posted his picture, it was on a metal box.  That was EV's standard case for the 642.  The 'anvil' type case in this image is a common alternative made by studio guys to carry around the 642, with the boom suspension attacked.  

The mic really needs an elastic boom suspensio.  The suspension works like this: a) A rubber 'donut' fits around the front of the mic case, and a second one fits around the rear;  It is important to position the rear one so that it doesn't block the rear sound entrance grills; c) Rubber bands (round, thick bands)reach from the rubber donuts up to the suspension ring.  The suspension ring is mounted in a yoke assembly, which then bolts to the end of a standard Century or Mole boom.  

This mic shows a pigtail from the rear connector on the mic up to the yoke.  There is normally a cable threaded through the boom arm with will mate with the pigtail.  This pigtail is heavy regular mic cable.  Normally, it would be made of very light, flexible cable to avoid transmitting mechanical noise back to the mic.  

Someone asked about the size of the mic.  If yo look at the picture, you can see, lying just in front of the interference tube, a regular Bic disposable pen.  I estimate the total length of the mic at 15-18 inches.  

Cordially,  
Tom

Brad Harris

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2004, 09:55:18 PM »

You know what, we've got a good dozen of those clips (on the right), and I just never thought to put 2 and 2 together! DUH!, that and I mainly use them for the 1/2 dozen senn. ME 60's I put around the house/stage for 'tappa tappa' and room mics. Remember kids, EIN means ON, and AUS is OFF! and the 8/32x1/2" hex bolt is the right size to trick the 'battery' for it to work (if it is in the EIN position ;P)

I'm more and more intregued and interested in how these sound (expecially with thier multiple sound entrances), next week I'll have a little time to play around with them. I also have a few other EV mics, but I can't remember off hand what they are.
Brad Harris

Scott Raymond

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2004, 11:42:27 PM »

Quote:

The first picture is a bitmapped squeezed image of two EV model 666 mics, the type that started this thread.  The second is of an EV model 642, wearing an elastic mount for boom use.  These were created with the PC "paint" program, as suggested by ScottR, however my old Win98 paint program won't save to .jpg, only .bmp.  

Cordially,  
Tom

Tom,

If you would like my paint.exe file I'll sure email in to you. It's 336 KB in size.  I suppose it's just a bit newer version.  I don't know about the legalities of it but I don't believe they're supporting 98 anymore so it probably doesn't matter much.

Scott

Craig Leerman

• http://www.techworksvegas.com
Mic Size
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2004, 11:45:26 PM »

The Cardiline mic is just a hair under 18" long overall and approximately 3 1/4" at the widest point in the back.  The shotgun boom tube is approximately 3/4" wide (wider at the tip of course) and sticks out from the body of the mic just about 12".

Thanks for the answers on how to resize a pic.  I resized this pic and am going to test one now!

In keeping with the EV theme of this thread, here is another cool EV mic. This one is the EV 644 "SOUND SPOT" dynamic shotgun mic.  The mic is approximately 16" long overall, and about 2 1/4" wide at the rear.  Its about 5 1/2" tall measured from the top of the mic to the bottom of the mic connector threads.

I have a few of these. They actually sound pretty good, and of course are very directional!  

index.php/fa/295/0/

Because we have been talking about rear porting for direction mic  diaphragms, I will also post a pic in the next post showing the rear port for this mic.

Thanks for posting the great pic of the shock mount, Tom!  Also, a great road case for the mic and shockmount. I don't know how the shock mount was packaged from the factory. I bought my shockmount used without any box or other documentation.  As shown in my pic, the Cardiline mic came in a steel box with U shaped supports lined with felt to cradle the mic when its in the case.    On the label in the steel box, it shows how to mount the mic into the shockmount and shows a few drawings.

Does anybody know if there is a forum for vintage mic collectors?  I would love to learn more about older mics and see other peoples collections.

Craig
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

Craig Leerman

• http://www.techworksvegas.com
Rear Port
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2004, 11:51:49 PM »

Well, I think I have mastered the art of shrinking pictures!  Thanks again for the info!

Now I need  program that can remove my finger in front of the camera lens!

Here is the rear port of the EV "Sound Spot".  

index.php/fa/296/0/

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

analog Tom

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2004, 02:13:18 AM »

Yes, please, send the file:  

AudioLaw@ aol dot com.  

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong with the posting.  It says "upload" file, but when I do that, it shows up only as a link, not as a displayed picture.  

I'm sure it's something simple that I'm missing - that's why I'm still ANALOG Tom.  

Cordially,  
Tom

analog Tom

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2004, 02:18:48 AM »

"I also have a few other EV mics, but I can't remember off hand what they are."  

Post some model #s or pictures.  People here can probably sort you out.  

If you find one that looks like the 644 that Craig posted, but it's olive drab, and has an XLR out instead of an MC-4, that would be a 645.  Just as the PA model 664 had a broadcast version called the 665, which was drab (so as not to reflect TV lights), the PA model 644 had a TV cousin, model 645.  

Also, more rarely, there were gold finished 664 and 644 mics, to appeal to designers who wanted that flavor rather than the standard silver (chrome).  

Cordially,
Tom

analog Tom

Re: Mic Size
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2004, 02:26:20 AM »

"Thanks for posting the great pic of the shock mount, Tom! Also, a great road case for the mic and shockmount. I don't know how the shock mount was packaged from the factory. I bought my shockmount used without any box or other documentation. As shown in my pic, the Cardiline mic came in a steel box with U shaped supports lined with felt to cradle the mic when its in the case. On the label in the steel box, it shows how to mount the mic into the shockmount and shows a few drawings."  

There were actually a couple of different EV shockmount designs for the 642, and there were some aftermarket designs as well (at least in the Hollywood community).  I'd have to do some searching through old storage stuff to find them,  It's sort of like the RCA BK-5A/B and KU-3A.  It seems like every grip house at one time tried to come up with a better suspension.  

It's interesting to compare these elastic string suspensions with the flexible wire loop suspension that EV offers for the DL-42, which was the replacement for the 642.  While taking those pictures this morning, I looked (briefly) for the DL-42s, and couldn't find any of them.  Time to get better organized.  This shows how little demand there is for them, even as props.  

Cordially,
Tom

Dave Dermont

• http://www.geocities.com/livesound101/
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2004, 04:50:17 AM »

analog Tom wrote on Sun, 18 July 2004 01:13

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong with the posting.  It says "upload" file, but when I do that, it shows up only as a link, not as a displayed picture.  

I'm sure it's something simple that I'm missing - that's why I'm still ANALOG Tom.  

Cordially,  
Tom

Tom, To display a pic in a post, it has to be somewhere on the Web. To find the URL of a picture, right click it and then click on "properties". you can then highlight and copy the URL.

To stick it in a post, click this button: http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/theme/path_info/images/b_image.gif It's up in "Formatting Tools". Paste the URL into the little window that opens when you press http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/theme/path_info/images/b_image.gif

I hope this helps. Doing it is a lot easier than the reading the instructions on how to do it. Honest.

If the pic is stored on your computer, and not somewhere on the Web, you have to do what you were doing.
Dave Dermont - Chief Lizard, LAB Lounge

WARNING: Dates In Calendar May Be Closer Than They Appear
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 21 queries.