ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Technomad  (Read 3827 times)

Henry Denman

Technomad
« on: July 08, 2004, 05:19:19 PM »

I would like to get some thoughts about this manufacturer (Technomad) more specifically the Vienna and the Paris models.  The big dog who is clueless about good sounding cabnets came back from infocom giddy as a school girl about these speakers.  They don't ring a bell in my mind so I have no background info or knowledge about how they sound.  If anyone has used these before I would like to know what you think of the sound, performance, and quality of these boxes.

Thanks,
Henry

Craig Leerman

• http://www.techworksvegas.com
Re: Technomad
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 06:01:25 PM »

Quote:

I would like to know what you think of the sound, performance, and quality of these boxes.

I have used, and seen these used a few times.  First off, the sound is quite good for small plastic boxes. I have heard playing background music, and at a few band concerts including one with "Sweet Honey on the Rock". For background music, they work perfectly, and sound quite good. For live music they do a very good job as well, but not as good as some other boxes I would choose in the same price range.

As for the quality of the box, they are built like tanks!  In fact, the US Military uses them for portable sound needs. The molded plastic box is very rugged, and the color goes all the way through so even a scratch or scrape does not really show up.  The boxes I have seen have a built in stand mount, as well as rugged fly hardware on them.  Also, many of there boxes have covers so you can just snap on a cover and transport them, or snap on the cover over an installed speaker for bad weather.  

Speaking of bad weather, these speakers are used by many cruise lines and amusement parks because they are very weather resistant.  At a recent trade show, Technomad was displaying one of their small boxes playing in a water tank, constantly being doused and sprayed with water!  

If you need a quality rugged box, these could be the ticket.

If I remember correctly, they also make racks out of the same material as their boxes.

Craig
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

Tim Padrick

Re: Technomad
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 09:32:10 PM »

I installed a pair of Viennas.  They were bright and honky - I did not care for the sound at all.  (That "ceramic" driver is a piezo!)  (Had the Viennas not already been purchased, I'd have installed Acoustic Energy Aegis One home hi-fi speakes, which are a lot better sounding and a lot cheaper.)  I've not heard their larger offerings, but my Vienna experience makes me very skeptical.  On the other hand I find the little SLS 8190 speakers to sound quite nice (but not cheap!) http://www.slsloudspeakers.com/universal%20series.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 20 queries.