ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm Looking for a Speaker Mount Device any ideas?  (Read 4718 times)

slobbermonster

I'm Looking for a Speaker Mount Device any ideas?
« on: July 07, 2004, 03:29:03 PM »

I've seen a device for hanging speakers that uses what looked like some thin cable, pulleys and other gadgets so you could adjust the speakers easily. I remember seeing advertisements for it here but that was 4 years ago or better.

What I need to do is hang the speakers at our church from some rafters and would rather have more flexibility for for speaker adjustment than chains would offer.

Any Ideas.

The speakers are 2 1/2 foot by 18 inch by about 18 inch deep, but those dimensions are a guess since the are about 20 foot in the air right now.

Thanks
tony

Karl P(eterson)

Re: I'm Looking for a Speaker Mount Device any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 05:43:44 PM »

There are a few people who make such things, but who you want to talk to is Polar Focus.

Note: It would probably be better/easier to have a good contractor take care of this for you, but if you can't/won't do that, make sure you get a structural enginear to sign off on the structure to be loaded on, then let polar focus tell you what you need for the rigging.

Karl P

TeamLeader.Technical Systems - CCH

cking

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 11:28:10 AM »

You might want to check out allen products as well.  They have alot of solutions for what you are looking to do as well as engineers on staff to help you design a solution.  (polar focus has engineers available as well)

Rick Johnston

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 09:37:31 PM »

slobbermonster wrote on Wed, 07 July 2004 15:29

What I need to do is hang the speakers at our church from some rafters and would rather have more flexibility for for speaker adjustment than chains would offer.

Hi Tony,
Chain is not an accepted structural element in many areas. It gets fatigued over time.

The product you are talking about is probably wire rope. It's used with the appropriate hardware and bona fide fly points on speaker cabs that are designed to be flown.

If you're planning to fly some boxes you bought from the local music store, please don't. An hour's reading after a PSW Study Hall or Google search for "rigging flying speakers" will enlighten you of the dangers and liabilities of doing it yourself if you're not qualified.

For the record, I've been in this business for a long time, and I always leave the rigging to the pros (after a structural engineer has provided plans). It's a science and a craft.

slobbermonster

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 09:31:52 AM »

GUys thank for the info,

I guess I should add a little more info. I live in an area of Colorado that has no real audio professionals. The reason I mentioned chain is because the "professional" that hung them already used chain.  They mounted 2 speakers as a center cluster in a room that is long,narrow and small. The speakers are mounted about 16' feet in the air, so as you can imagine the sound is hideous. I can't quite make out what the speakers are from the ground but they do have the bolt attachments that indicate they are design for hanging. They look like a 12" or 15" and a horn.
Knowing the "professional" who did it they are probably cheap junk and over priced.

My thought was to spread them out. they would be hung on the same structural truss that they've been on for 6 years just spread out and lowered (the farther from the middle of the truss you get the lower it goes) and work towards getting any cancellation down the middle isle.  You could hang a truck from that truss, literally.

I've used wire rope forever what I was looking for is some of the products at Polar Focus and Allen Products. It looks like this would work perfect.  http://www.polarfocus.com/whatisazbeam.html

Thanks Guys
tony

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 10:36:39 AM »

I don't remember the pricing off the top of my head, but they aren't "cheap" that being said, they are a great product. Again, make sure the person who installs it knows how to correctly and safely use the stuff.

Karl P
TeamLeader.Technical Systems - CCH

Tom Young

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 09:03:48 PM »

I think you want to look at the rigging systems and hardware from Polar Focus.

www.polarfocus.com

You also want to ensure that anything you suspend above peoples' heads is a safe and secure installation, including the building structrure.  This can only be done with inpection and approval by a certified rigger or structural engineer.  It does not cost lots to do this and this money is far less than what it costs if you hurt or kill someone.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Brent Handy

• http://www.projectdamagecontrol.com/ha_recording.htm
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 04:19:09 PM »

Karl P wrote on Wed, 07 July 2004 22:43

There are a few people who make such things, but who you want to talk to is Polar Focus.

Note: It would probably be better/easier to have a good contractor take care of this for you, but if you can't/won't do that, make sure you get a structural enginear to sign off on the structure to be loaded on, then let polar focus tell you what you need for the rigging.

Karl P

Agreed.  I once began an install bid on a new building.  I started by contacting the building engineer and the construction company to confirm the structures load rating per sq ft.  As it turned out, all of the other contractors were spec'ing over 1,000 lbs for a 3' per sq ft structure.  Knowing this info saved me money and headaches.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.