ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 lab12's front loaded?  (Read 5041 times)

John Horvath

• http://www.alanproaudio.com
4 lab12's front loaded?
« on: July 06, 2004, 10:08:53 PM »

We've been wanting to buy an EAW SB412 for use as a drum monitor sub, but it's awfully expensive.  So we thought we could just build our own version, but taller.  And with an extra 12" midrange cone, and with a 2" HF driver up top.  If the box and the ports were built properly, how do you think 4 lab12's front loaded would perform??

TIA..
-John

Alan Pro Audio
219-769-3600

Chris Cowley

• http://www.humhead-digital.co.uk
Re: 4 lab12's front loaded?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 01:47:51 PM »

download WinISD and have a look. Probably be pretty good.
GO YOU BIG RED FIRE ENGINE!!!!!!!!!

Quentin Blacklock

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 12:50:20 PM »

Klark

Do a search at the "Old" LAB Sub Forum. Mark Seaton had some thoughts on building a front loaded box with the "LAB12"

Mark Seaton

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 03:22:52 PM »

Hi Klark,

I'm not sure if you are still following this thread, but if so, how high does your sub have to go?  80Hz?  200Hz?
Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham

John Horvath

• http://www.alanproaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 03:50:30 PM »

Mark Seaton wrote on Mon, 19 July 2004 14:22

Hi Klark,

I'm not sure if you are still following this thread, but if so, how high does your sub have to go?  80Hz?  200Hz?

Well, it's gonna be a drum sub, with a variety of different cabients used on top of it.  Everything from single 12" x 2" cabs, to dual 15" x 2" cabs.  So I'd say it should go as high as 100hz, maybe even up to 120hz if possible.  Then again, 80hz would probably be just fine as well,  But the xover is just an old EV Xeq3, which no phase adjustments, so having phase problems right in the middle of my boom-boom doesn't seem like very much fun.  Also, I'd rather the box be front loaded, or atleast a design that doesn't take up too much depth behind it.  I'd love to be able to try out your new dual 12" sub, but it wouldn't fit on a majority of our stages.  Hence the reason I began looking into the SB412.

So...  I guess I'm looking for a small box, that goes WAY low, WAY high, sounds awesome, and knocks the drummer of his throne.  Think I'm asking for too much, Mark?  Laughing
-John

Alan Pro Audio
219-769-3600

Al Limberg

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 04:30:56 PM »

Hi Klark,
Perhaps you should check out the Servodrive site and check out their 'other' 2x12 sub - the TD-1sub.  It's  front-loaded 2x12 using the same drivers as the BDeap-32 as I understand it.  The cabinet is the same dimension as the TD-1.  Solid to 38hz and I suspect capable of doing some serious damage in the near field.

Al
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside - Robert X. Cringely

Mark Seaton

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 06:40:00 PM »

Klark wrote on Mon, 19 July 2004 14:50

Mark Seaton wrote on Mon, 19 July 2004 14:22

Hi Klark,

Also, I'd rather the box be front loaded, or atleast a design that doesn't take up too much depth behind it.  I'd love to be able to try out your new dual 12" sub, but it wouldn't fit on a majority of our stages.  Hence the reason I began looking into the SB412.

So...  I guess I'm looking for a small box, that goes WAY low, WAY high, sounds awesome, and knocks the drummer of his throne.  Think I'm asking for too much, Mark?  Laughing

Ha!  It's impossible to please everyone.  First some complain the B-DEAP is too shallow, and here 28" is too deep!  I say just get a B-DEAP. 18" tall and even a single standing will crush the drummer's chest to about 45Hz and still be quite loud to below 40Hz.  I do think the new APB-1 will be a killer drum fill, but you will need at least 4 of the LABs to do what it does.  Any chance shifting that to 15" deep, x 36" wide, x 28" high would work?  Rolling Eyes

Tom Danley pulled out some interesting tricks with the alignment of our td1/sub (sorry, I can't publish it), and we have a few people using it for drum fill with great results.  One is plenty for normal use, a pair is preferred for greedy drummers.  If you do want to build something, I would put 2-3 LAB-12s in a single box and use a pair.  Use a big duct style port in the side so the duct from the two boxes sit together.  Would make them nicely portable, if not a bit heavy with that much woofer motor there.  As radically wide a range as this may seem, you have a range of justifiable combinations with anywhere from 1.5-3.0 cu.ft. with a tuning ranging from 25-40Hz.  Grab one of the free driver design programs and determine what you are interested in optomizing for.  There are certainly areas of deviation from most of the freeware modelers, but they will get you in the ballpark, just err to on the conservative side.
Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham

Don DeLong

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 10:04:33 PM »

If you end up building this thing, I would strongly advise keeping the mid/high components in a separate box.  We use the SB412, and it works amazingly well, but it is about as heavy a box as 2 good strong loaders can lift onto a 5 foot stage safely.  A taller, heavier version would most likely need a forklift.  

Just my $.02
Don

Punctuated by the limitless possibilites of hickory smoked bacon!

Advanced Audio & Lighting Systems, Inc.
Peoria, IL  
(309) 691-7105

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 20 queries.