ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gain reduction through equalization  (Read 2412 times)

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
Gain reduction through equalization
« on: June 21, 2004, 07:48:42 PM »

So, my pals are on tour and last night they played the local acoustic nightmare.  The house guy's a pal and when he finds out that I'm mixing one of the bands (my guys were #3 on a four-band bill), he says, "hey, I wanna go home -- can you mix the first two bands and you'll get paid the club's $$$ too?"  I figured, what the hell; I can use the extra cash and I could play a bit with the the rig and see if I could make it suck somewhat less.  Also, it was a punk show and between sets I love to play old-skool discs the kids have never heard before.  

I brought a batch of mics and a four-space rack with a dbx 160XT, a Rane PE-15 parametric EQ and an Ensoniq DP/4+ effects box. The house console is a Mackie 24*4.  To get some reasonable vocal-sound control, I wired the compressor output into the parametric's input and inserted it on lead vocal.  As usual, I split the lead vocal channel for monitor and FOH use.

Band #1 was yr basic four-piece new punk band.  They had their stage sound together (and volume was good) so it sounded fine but I was running the console waaaay too hot.  The singer had his own Beta57A but had substituted some odd screen so it didn't sound quite right.  A big bonus: the drummer's Tama ShitStar drums sounded amazing.

Band #2 was similar 'cept their guitar sounds were louder and thinner and didn't have and meat.  Plus, the singer (through one of the club's 58s) was way weak -- even through lots of lights were blinking on the 160. I started looking at the DriveRack and paged through the EQs and I realized that between the processor and the Ashly analog 31-bander, the whole thing was set for Gain Reduction Through Equalization.

Halfway through the 2nd band's set, I said, "FCC it!" and between songs I pulled the channel and master faders down to 'bout -5.  Then I hit "Bypass" on the analog EQ. Wow!  Like a blanket had been lifted -- tons more gain.  The master meters ended up near unity (rather than at the top!) and I wasn't into the processor's limiters.

"But didn't the vocal feed back?"  No -- remember I had the parametric inserted on the lead vocal.  I gently brought the faders up a bit and that one little bit of feedback in the vocals was notched out in the parametric.  I also used the PE-15 to basically make the vocal sound pleasant, and in combat audio situations like this, if the vocal sounds good, the MIX sounds good.  I took out a bit of 120 or so in one of the DriveRack's parametrics and that cleaned up a low-end rumble thing.

My pals played in the #3 slot and it sounded as good as it could get for the room.  It also helped that a lot of kids came into the room to see 'em.

The headline act had their own dude (who must've had an Audio Technica endorsement), so after wiring the stage I went back to FOH and told him that I'd bypassed the house graphic -- and demonstrated the difference between off and on.  He elected to go with the blanket.  Hey, whatever.

I retired to the bar and ran into my pal the house guy and we had a pretty good discussion of all of this.  He was of course ASTONISHED ("you've gotta be FCCing KIDDING me ...!") that I'd bypass the house EQ in the middle of a set.  He's well aware of the myriad problems in this room; the list is about a mile long but suffice it to say the biggest problem is the venue management.

This room is in serious need of D9 EQ.  Perhaps C4 EQ would be equally effective.

--a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Rick Byers

• http://www.lost-dogs.info
Re: Gain reduction through equalization
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 12:00:48 PM »

It nevers ceaes to amaze me that a venue with a drive rack installed hasn't pinked the room!!!

I've only had mine a short time, but the joys of pinking have opened my eyes!!!

Just goes to show with all the automation available, you can't beat a good grasp of basic sound knowledge and the know how to fiddle with stuff!!

All power to you for going for it mid set though.

Dave Bigelow

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 02:50:34 PM »

Yeah, that's the first thing we did (pinking) after installing a driverack where I used to work. (well other than turning it on)

At that place we had an ultracurve that decided to get a mind of it's own. I myself ran with no eq a few times. Best time was with a room that had to be over capacity. After wondering what was up the whole first set I decided to say to hell with it and click the xlr's together. Sounded ten times better the rest of the night. Felt good since the only other person I'd seen try that in that room was somebody that's done this as long as I've been alive. I probably would have had a mess at first if it wasn't for watching how he worked around it.

Guess I'll believe the ads that say it's the only thing you need inbetween the mixer and power amps now. Very Happy

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 05:36:51 PM »

RickB wrote on Fri, 25 June 2004 09:00

It nevers ceaes to amaze me that a venue with a drive rack installed hasn't pinked the room!!!

Well, you could pink the room and get some sort of curve that may or may not be usable, as the "architecture" hoses you.

I mean, tweaking the room with pink noise is all well and good, but the real deal is when you have three or four open vocal mics and said "architecture" is such that the FOH top boxes are BEHIND a largish support beam, whose effect is to reflect part of the top end BACK ONTO THE STAGE.  If the vocal mic is in the wrong location, then it's feedback hell, and of course no amount of electronic equalization will help.

--a

"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 21 queries.