ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electronic wire measure  (Read 5645 times)

Stan Loughridge

Electronic wire measure
« on: June 19, 2004, 04:31:16 AM »

I think I read about a device that would measure wire on a
spool just by cliping this unit on it and it tells the
left over footage or was I dreaming.

Thanks Stan Loughridge
Stan Loughridge

Alex-Skip-Welti

• http://www.CreationAudioLabs.com
Re: Electronic wire measure
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 10:15:17 AM »

I heard about that too - it sends a pulse into the wire - the pulse reflects off the far end, and the device calculates the length by measuring the time it takes to detect the reflection.

I've heard about it - but I don't know who makes it - you might ask at www.techaudioservice.com - I think that's where I heard about it...

Good luck and please post if you find out what it is!

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• http://www.comsystecusa.com
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 02:38:39 PM »

They have been around for a long time. It's actually a simple TDR (Time Domain Reflectometer). Send a pulse down the cable, time the returning pulse reflected off the open end, plug the number into a formula with the velocity of propagation for the cable and you have a pretty good idea of the length. Kind of like RADAR.

If you want to see where every ding, connector, splice or damage is as well as the overall length you can go for a full blown TDR with a scope type display.

I'm not sure who makes them either but if you look in the Specialized Products catalog (or website) it's probably in there.

-Hal  

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 03:34:49 PM »

Greenlee makes some of them, as do other companies, but many of them are for electrical work (IE, requires to large of a guage to be of use to use.) The one you probably are most interested in is the JTE-1001. Here is a little flyer thing for them. Look around online, they should be able to be had for ~300$

Now if you want a full featured TDR unit, then be prepared to spend a fair ammount more.

Karl P
TeamLeader.Technical Systems - CCH

Rob Warren

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 11:48:34 AM »

I've used the short stop before.  I thought it worked wonderful.  This is great for wire inventory.  Will tell you how much wire is left on a spool.  Measure the conduit then use this thing to measure the wire to go in the conduit.  Several uses.  If I remember right you had to have at least 2 conductors stripped back to bare copper in order to work.  

Rob
Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.