ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternative LAB Driver suggestions  (Read 2161 times)

Ray Reid

Alternative LAB Driver suggestions
« on: June 08, 2004, 11:10:16 pm »

I imagine this topic has been thoroughly examined, but as I have only read approx 6 months of POSTS I have failed to find many.

I have even read on other website forums about people customising the LAB project to use dual 15s/18s.

I know the LAB project has a custom driver, and that horn theory is not trivial, but would still like to see plans or hear about any success stories using 15's or 18's.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."

Graeme Goodacre [Centauri

• http://www.centauriaudio.com.au
Re: Alternative LAB Driver suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 07:43:25 am »

While the LabSub project has provided many of us with information relating to the design of horn subs, you cannot really 'customise' it to use 15s or 18s or even other 12s for that matter.

The LabSub was designed to get the most efficient horn in a given space, then the driver was designed to be the best match for that horn.  If you want to use a different driver, then you will have to design the horn to suit it - and therefore it is no longer a 'LabSub'.

Cheers
Graeme

JR Rager

Re: Alternative LAB Driver suggestions
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 10:20:37 am »

I tried customizing the design to use dual 15's, unfortuniatly I ended up redesigning the entire box had to make it bigger and spent alot of money on non-standard drivers. Now if you read through all the original posts by TD, and buy the Leach paper on horn loading at low frequencies, use ML UTIL and Horn response you can design your own. You will spend alot of money and time doing so. Trust me. You will also end up with something that probably doesn't perform much better that the LABsub within the design criteria. You effectively have to increase the box size to fit larger drivers (Let alone find suitable drivers). Now if you are willing to make some compromises you can have some impressive results by using the design theories found here. I had some great results, but I ended up with 4 cabs that are just too darn big to move around. I wish I would have just built 4 more labs instead. I am a DIYer so It was a great experience learning about "how this stuff works", but if you are doing  it specifically as a project to use in the real world where money and reliability matters, build the LABS as designed!

JR Rager
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.