ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: still wondering  (Read 24246 times)

Gilligan¹

Re: still wondering
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2004, 09:30:00 PM »

Just really getting into these threads here but what is the latest on this HL10 designed horn?

I might be getting our drummer to build a couple of subs soon and I'm trying to see if it's better to go with the LABs or these "smaller" ver.  We play mainly small/medium clubs and are currently using a set of Yorkville LS800p (though I'm not a fan) and EF500p's for tops (I do like these.)

Gilligan

Dan Pockrus

• http://www.soulvillemusic.com
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2004, 08:43:37 AM »

Magic wrote on Thu, 24 June 2004 07:24

What makes a bass player interested or qualified ( ??? ) as a SR-guy ?

In my case - and I'd wager it applies to every other bass player here - it's a setup time factor. In every band I've ever been in, it takes the drummer and guitarist(s) an eternity to setup for a show. Me, I'm up and running in about five minutes - and since I "had time", I was always the one who wound up setting up the PA.

-- Dan --

Dave Rickard

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2004, 11:03:49 AM »

Magic wrote on Thu, 24 June 2004 13:24

Yep, that is quite strange, isn't it ?
What makes a bass player interested or qualified ( ??? ) as a SR-guy ?

Magic

Yep, this is off topic, but since you asked:

*Maybe* it's because bass players learn early, with their very first amp, about the problems of trying to do too much gig without the right rig?

*Maybe* this makes them more concerned about buying more amps and subs than the others, so they move in that direction?

*Maybe*  it's because drummers and guitarists are more worried about upgrading their own personal gear than the main rig?  While a bass rig is fairly straightforward?

And the non-instrumental singers, well.......

my 2 cents,
daver
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Vince Byrne

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2004, 02:59:36 PM »

daver wrote on Thu, 15 July 2004 10:03

*Maybe* it's because bass players learn early, with their very first amp, about the problems of trying to do too much gig without the right rig?

*Maybe* this makes them more concerned about buying more amps and subs than the others, so they move in that direction?

*Maybe*  it's because drummers and guitarists are more worried about upgrading their own personal gear than the main rig?  While a bass rig is fairly straightforward?

and *Maybe* by the nature of the musical roll, musicians who are drawn to being bass players are also more naturally inclined to thrive in areas where success is found greatly in providing service and foundation.

I've certainly seen an awful lot of bands where the bass player is the mediator and peace maker, and owns, provides, or maintains more than their fair share of the band's gear or other resources ... and they often become sound providers when an ego-king singer/guitarist/drummer blows up the band! Nod  Laughing  Nod

Peace,
Vince <><

Mike MacWillie

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2004, 07:59:50 PM »

I'm willing to bet that *Maybe* thoos epeople above are bass players Wink

Anywho, anyone know of any downloadable designs for a HL10 horn?

Dave Rickard

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2004, 08:01:46 PM »

Yep, I agree with that, too.

daver
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Dave Rickard

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2004, 08:07:00 PM »

Michael M wrote on Fri, 16 July 2004 00:59

I'm willing to bet that *Maybe* thoos epeople above are bass players Wink

Anywho, anyone know of any downloadable designs for a HL10 horn?

Who, me? A bass player?  *Maybe*

Read John Sheerin's posts above.  He mentioned in one of them that he might be able to publish some plans right around now, but that he might also get delayed.

daver
Dave
Yorkville dealer

JR Rager

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2004, 09:01:42 AM »

This probably isn't appropriate for this particular forum, so Mods delete if you deem appropriate.

I have been working on a horn for the HL10's

I am gonna stuff an 8.5ft horn in a 24"Wx24"Hx36"D box. The problem is that it is gonna be tough to get under -6 at 35hz for a single enclosure, but the output above 40hz is predicted to be in the 110db 1w/1m range which is intense. By using them in blocks of 4-6 it should be able to get down to -3 to -6 at 30hz
There are some ripples in the predicted response due to the compromise of a smaller box /smaller throat /shorter horn than optimum. I am not ready to release any drawings and such yet so please don't send me a bunch of emails and pm's. Just tinkering around. The premise is It is just not efficient to lug the monsters around for every gig. I need a compact high output sub that doesn't cost $3,500 a piece.

Based on mlutil and horn response here is the predicted response graph based on the design so far:

http://www.pulseradiodetroit.com/images/dae10x2.JPG

Mark Seaton

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2004, 01:40:57 PM »

JR-  Is the prediction with 1 box on the ground, or 2 or more?

Also, are you looking at 1 or 2 HL-10s per box?  Sensitivity is one thing, but you also need to look at where you run out of excursion.

Not a bad concept though, and could be somewhat similar to what John Sheerin was talking about.
Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham

JR Rager

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2004, 03:35:15 PM »

Mark Seaton wrote on Fri, 16 July 2004 13:40

JR-  Is the prediction with 1 box on the ground, or 2 or more?

Also, are you looking at 1 or 2 HL-10s per box?  Sensitivity is one thing, but you also need to look at where you run out of excursion.

Not a bad concept though, and could be somewhat similar to what John Sheerin was talking about.

2 HL10's per box. 1 box 1/2 space
40hz = 8  mm @ 600Watts
40hz = 13 mm @ 1200Watts
35hz = 12 mm @ 600Watts (Xmax = 11.1mm)
35hz = 17 mm @ 1200Watts (Xmech = 36mm)
30hz = 15 mm @ 600watts (Xmax = 11.1mm)
30hz = 24 mm @ 1200watts (Xmech = 36mm)

At 40hz and 1000watts it should be within linear operation. If used in multiples, I imagine it would be linear down to 35hz, but I am not sure how to calculate that.

The only issue I see is that they would really have to use them in multiples of 4 or more to to get noticable extension below 40hz.(just like the labsub) Oh and where to put the handles...there will not be much room on any sides that won't have a brace or a part of the horn under it...lol.

Edit - At 600 watts (RMS) it predicts 136 db +/- 2db 40-200hz put 4 together and that could be "stupid loud" out of a 48"x48"x36" stack of speakers, but who knows. It is always a compromise, but finding what is the best compromize - physical size vs. response vs. efficiency.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.