ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW LA400 vs. JBL Dual 18" Subs  (Read 14879 times)

Josh Billings

• http://www.mindboxmedia.com/soundsystem
EAW LA400 vs. JBL Dual 18" Subs
« on: June 01, 2004, 02:57:33 PM »

Opinions? feedback? What do you think? Replacing 2 EAW BH800L cabinets.

-Josh

Scott Hibbard

Re: EAW LA400 vs. JBL Dual 18" Subs
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 11:26:07 PM »

Josh,

You'll need to be more specific.  EAW LA400 vs. which JBL dual 18's? and what is the intended application?  I am sure you realize you are comparing a horn loaded cabinet to a bass reflex design.  

That aside, some general observations can be made. For example the LA400 (single cab) will go down to approx. 45Hz and the JBL SRX4719X, will go down to approx. 30Hz (if that is in fact one of the JBL models you are considering).  Single box to single box, the JBL will go lower.  Couple two or more LA400's together and they'll go lower than 45Hz...probably somewhere in the 35-40Hz area if I were to guess (properly powered of course)

Output wise, the LA400 will net you approx. 2-3 db greater SPL and greater throw.  The LA400 will also sound notably more responsive and tighter.  The LA400 is approx. 125 pounds and the SRX4719 just shy of 190 pounds and will occupy more space in your truck or trailer. The LA400 is significantly more efficient as well.

Clearly you can see they are two different beasts and if you heard them side-by-side you would notice their differences.  However since you are looking to replace existing horn-loaded subs, you should definitely have a listen to the dual 18's - they WILL sound differnt than you current horns as well as the LA400's.

I am a huge fan of EAW products including their bass horn systems such as the DCS2, LA400, BH822 and the awesome KF940.  The KF940 is, in my opinion, the best bass horn available.

Again the intended application is a must-know to help you with more specific feedback.

Scott

Tim Padrick

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 11:55:21 AM »

I'd go for the Peavey QW218 over the JBLs.  I'd go for LAB subs over LA400s (and pretty much anything else that normal folks can afford).  As to the QW218 Vs. LA400?  I'd have to hear them in the same room to offer an opinion.

David Little

• http://www.dblittle.com
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 02:23:38 PM »

Keep in mind that front loaded enclosures inherently create much more harmonic distortion. That will tend to mud things up above you sub/low or sub/mid crossover point. Many of us have used assymentrical crossover points to compensate, bit is in reality just a band aid.  That is something you may not have the capability to apply depending on your crossover's features.
Personally I would stick with horn loaded. They are more efficient and have much less harmonic distortion. You will clearly hear the difference if you try a side by side comparison.
http://www.dblittle.com/catalog/images/dblit310x90b.gif

John Chiara

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 12:32:58 AM »

ScottH wrote on Thu, 03 June 2004 04:26

Josh,

I am a huge fan of EAW products including their bass horn systems such as the DCS2, LA400, BH822 and the awesome KF940.  The KF940 is, in my opinion, the best bass horn available.

Again the intended application is a must-know to help you with more specific feedback.

Scott

I am of the understanding that the BH 822 and the KF 940 are identical size and performance wise.

"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.