ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Q on power amp choice for low-end system  (Read 2491 times)

hubcapbrian

Q on power amp choice for low-end system
« on: May 25, 2004, 07:19:41 PM »

Reposted here as it shouldn't have been posted in the LAB:

OK, here's my situation. I am providing the PA for my string band. Instrumentation is two fiddles (one doubles mandolin), banjo (doubles dobro), guitar (doubles mandolin) and string bass (me). 4 vocal mikes, all instruments DI through small preamps (Fishman, Baggs). Powered mixer is a Spirit Powerstation, mains (2) are Community CSX-35S2 on stands, monitors (2) are EV S-100 "Entertainer". For gigs today I run the Spirit's amps as main/monitor. I want to add an outboard power amp to allow more power into the mains, using the Spirit to drive the monitors.

Pricewise I was looking around $400 new. My main candidates right now are the Crown CE-1000 and the Carvin DCM1000. Either amp would be run bridged to provide about 1KW into the CSXes. The Carvin has a few things I like over the Crown: 2U, built in peak limiter, lighter.

I could also jump up to the QSC PLX1202 if I was willing to spend $600; then I get high pass filtering as well as the limiter plus even less weight than the Carvin.

I can easily afford to spend the extra $200 but for a relatively low end system will the PLX be overkill relative to the other two amps? I know Carvin is disdained in general, but is the Crown CE really a superior amp?

I have ruled out a number of other amps due to weight or depth (Behringer, QSC RMX, etc.) so please restrict comments to the Carvin, Crown and PLX...thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 15 queries.