ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Requests ...  (Read 3031 times)

Vince Byrne

Requests ...
« on: May 25, 2004, 06:09:57 PM »

Ernie,

Boy this place has come a long way fast, great work ...

A couple requests for improvements -

1) Can you force scaling of large images so they don't force the main text windows wide? If you have this post:

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/4688/476/?SQ=f29 480c410468893a88b687257385dd8#msg_4688

in the middle of an "unread posts" screen everything else is pain to read.

2) Can "no more unread messages" appear at the end of the last unread message? I'm always clicking "more unread messages" when there aren't any.

3) Message flagging is inconsistence when messages are viewed using "unread posts". This usually but not always works for me in the LAB and the Lounge, but usually not elsewhere.

Thanks for looking at this. I've followed the LAB since 1996 and I've been very happy with the changes in both return-to-roots moderation and look-and-feel. This is my favorite place on the web.

Peace,
Vince

Ernie Black

• SR Forums
    • http://www.standingstone.com
Re: Requests ...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 02:45:16 PM »

Hi Vince,

Thanks for the kind words. We're striving to make the forums as useful yet flexible and powerful as possible. I'd say we've come a long way from the days of wwwboard on the old LAB.

Re: your questions:

1) No, there's no convenient way to scale the images, especially since they are raster and not vector graphics. We can only ask and hope that users are sensible enough to keep images under 800x600 in order to fit most people's screens.

2) I think this would require some re-engineering of the software, and as such is not high priority at present.

3) Not quite sure what you mean here, but the way the software works is that if you read a message down the thread, the software assumes that you have read the preceeding messages and flags them all as read.

Ernie Black, Code Warrior
ProSoundWeb Forums Webmaster

Ernie Black

• SR Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 03:04:21 PM »

Vince,

In this instance, I've edited the image to reduce it from 1600x1200 to 800x600. I can't always do this, however.

Cheers!

Vince Byrne

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 07:36:29 PM »

Ernie wrote on Wed, 26 May 2004 13:45

3) Not quite sure what you mean here, but the way the software works is that if you read a message down the thread, the software assumes that you have read the preceeding messages and flags them all as read.

Thanks for the consideration. When I click a specific message link, it behaves exactly as you described. But, that is hardly ever how I browse messages.

A normal forum visit for me to the lab would look like:
- go to srforums.prosoundweb.com, click on LAB link
- click "Unread Messages" link to read messages
- click "more unread messages" link until there are no more
- click "Back" until I am at the main LAB screen

Sometimes all of the messages I just read are flagged as read, which I believe is the correct behavior.

Sometimes they are not flagged, seems like incorrect behavior, and I scroll to the bottom of the page and click "mark all unread forum messages read"

I've seen this inconsistent behavior specifically in the LAB, the Lounge, and the LAB Sub forums which I'm in and out of daily.

The forums are worth living with this if it can't be fixed, and I know the "joy" of debugging intermittent problems in software. In any case, thanks for looking into this. Cool

Peace,
Vince

Ernie Black

• SR Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 09:27:20 PM »

Interesting, Vince. Perhaps Dave can shed some light on this. I'll try to check it out further.

Dave Stevens

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 01:25:16 AM »

Sounds like you could be loading cached data but I can't say for sure.  What I do know for sure is the next round of revisions or fixes will be implemented the first part of July.  Until then unless something radically breaks there won't be any upgrades.

Dave
======================================
Revenge of the Chick Car...
A Barking Dog Goes Road Racing in 2011
http://www.roaddog.com/racing/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 20 queries.