ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "good enough" board for monitoring  (Read 3155 times)

tim mcallister

"good enough" board for monitoring
« on: May 23, 2004, 10:52:58 PM »

I am looking for a board "good enough" to:
- Used for "monitoring" of recordings, without sounding like crap with all channels being hit.
- Must have at least 16 mono line-in's.
- I will only use the line ins, so mic pres aren't a concern.
- I have plenty of outboard effects, so built in effects are nice, but not needed.

It will:
- Sit in the basement and will not travel. So durability is a lower priority.

It won't serve "multi purposes":
- I have a dedicated board for live gigs,
- I mix everything on the computer. So the board won't be used for real mixing.
- I use real mic preamps and I have plenty. I will not use the boards mic pres.

So please don't tell me how I will "out grow" the board and wish I had bought something better. I already have the "better" stuff Smile

I need something "good enough", and cheap as possible. I am thinking:
The old Mackie 1604
yamaha mg-24
or (gasp!) a behringer

Considering what I have stated above, what might you suggest??

TIA

Brad Harris

Re: "good enough" board for monitoring
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 01:22:33 PM »

So your not concerend with the pre-amp, what about the eq section?

If your not (and I think your not), look for a board that has an eq in/out switch, and leave it permenantly out.

What kind of routing are you looking for? (how many inputs on your sound/breakout card? how many monitor mixes do you need? etc)

How many channels do you need?
Brad Harris

Afro Jon

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 02:03:50 PM »

What are you recording to?  All of the recording platforms I have worked with (mostly pro-tools) have built in monitoring functionality, so you can cue up the actual tracks being recorded, or just make a basic mix to listen to.  What benefit are you going to get from using a board if you are not using its pres or eq?  It seems to me that using a board to make a monitor mix seperate from the cue on the recording platform wont give you an acurate reference of what your tracks actually sound like.  I would think you would be much better served with a control surface designed for your platform.

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 09:59:19 PM »

papasalty wrote on Sun, 23 May 2004 21:52

Considering what I have stated above, what might you suggest??

TIA

I'd suggest posting this in a recording forum rather than a live sound forum... but that's just me.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

tim mcallister

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 12:36:32 AM »

Afro Jon wrote on Mon, 24 May 2004 19:03

What are you recording to?  All of the recording platforms I have worked with (mostly pro-tools) have built in monitoring functionality, so you can cue up the actual tracks being recorded, or just make a basic mix to listen to.  What benefit are you going to get from using a board if you are not using its pres or eq?  It seems to me that using a board to make a monitor mix seperate from the cue on the recording platform wont give you an acurate reference of what your tracks actually sound like.  I would think you would be much better served with a control surface designed for your platform.

I am recording to an Alesis HD-24.

I have a slew of decent to good mic preamps in a rack (symetrix 202's to Peavey VMP-2, Vinteck, etc)

I want to use the board for cue and "very rough mix" playbacks. Most of the preamps in my rack are arguably better than what you'll find in budget mixers.

I am currently using a yamaha 8 channel mixer thats sits around, but I really need at least 16 line ins to easily track overdudded horn sections etc.

tim mcallister

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 12:40:00 AM »

Brad Harris wrote on Mon, 24 May 2004 18:22

So your not concerend with the pre-amp, what about the eq section?

If your not (and I think your not), look for a board that has an eq in/out switch, and leave it permenantly out.

What kind of routing are you looking for? (how many inputs on your sound/breakout card? how many monitor mixes do you need? etc)

How many channels do you need?

You are correct, I'm not concerned about the mic-pres. I will NOT track OR mix through the board, but eq is handy for rough mixes through the board.

I hve a HD-24 so I have 24 in and 24 out. I want to monitor up to at least 16 tracks.

I have a OZ q-mix for headphones. SO I just need channel inserts to get all the headphone mixes I could need.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.