ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Walkie-Talkie...CB..what else??  (Read 9199 times)

Michael Prasuhn

Re: Walkie-Talkie...CB..what else??
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2004, 09:29:41 PM »

Thanks Craig, after re-reading your post I realize that you weren't quite saying the exact things I thought you were.

The CB band is quite versatile, there is no reason that given optimal band conditions, a person couldn't talk to anyone anywhere in the world, operating a good CB with good antenna at 5 watts. A few field days ago, my friends and I had a 10-meter (just a few megahertz higher than CBs...if that) station setup operating off of a shortened CB vertical. The rig was putting out less that 5 watts, but was well tuned. The moment of the day was working San Joaquin Valley from our measly station hidden in the Ohio valley.

-Mikey P
Michael D. Prasuhn
Freelance audio engineer and technical director/IT
http://mikeyp.net

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2004, 11:56:59 PM »

Scott R wrote on Sun, 23 May 2004 09:03

To look at them you wouldn't realize they are removable. They use what's called an SMA connector.

SMA connectors are commonly used for microwave applications.  They do a gas-tight seal and have excellent signal-transfer characteristics.  Somewhere in a tool box, I have the proper torque wrench one should use when tightening these connectors.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Scott Raymond

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2004, 09:45:10 AM »

Kurt,

Here's something I ran across in my quick search.  Just something else to throw into the mix.  If the base station is able to use an external antenna, it might be worth a look.  Unless it's changed, GMRS license's are 85$ for 5 years.

GMRS set
General Info on GMRS

Scott

Scott Raymond

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2004, 10:20:48 AM »

Andy Peters wrote on Sun, 23 May 2004 22:56

SMA connectors are commonly used for microwave applications.  They do a gas-tight seal and have excellent signal-transfer characteristics.  Somewhere in a tool box, I have the proper torque wrench one should use when tightening these connectors.

-a

Thanks Andy,

If we covered these back when I was in school I'd forgotten them.  I do remember some of the "quirky" things about microwave properties related to waveguides etc., but that was early 70's and I'd imagine the applications have changed a bit. Smile  They're a neat little connector and work well in these compact radios.

These little radios use a "finger" wrench Laughing to tighten as the connectors are built into the radio and antenna with nothing to get a hold of.

Scott

Kevin Maxwell AKA TheMAXX

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2004, 10:35:16 PM »

Craig Leerman wrote on Fri, 21 May 2004 05:25

Better units offer all 14 channels, and even privacy codes so you don't hear or interfere with others using the same channel.

Just to clarify something, Craig your write up was very detailed and I know it is hard to cover everything, but the above quote is not 100 percent accurate. In simplified terms, the privacy codes generally will not let the radio hear the transmissions from someone that is on the same channel but is not using the same privacy code. But since you are both on the same channel it will affect transmission and reception. Radios using this type of system usually have an indicator light that blinks when the channel is in use and you are supposed to check if the light is blinking before transmitting. Technically I think you are supposed to open the squelch and confirm that there is no traffic on your frequency before you transmit.

I have used a variety of radio systems in a lot of different places and personally I hate the FSR radios. But if you are trying to do it cheap its hard to beat them.
Kevin Maxwell
Freelance Audio Eng. QBE
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.