ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How much wood is needed and are there Cut sheets avail.  (Read 4132 times)

Sound Construction

How much wood is needed and are there Cut sheets avail.
« on: May 18, 2004, 01:51:44 PM »

I've searched through the archives and gotten differing results. Once and for all, how much wood is needed and are there cut sheets available?

danfowler

Re: How much wood is needed and are there Cut sheets avail.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 06:21:50 PM »

Depends on the sheet size and how good you are.
I've been making sawdust for quite a while and I went about it for 4 hrs laying it out. Well worth the effort though.

AND!

I got 4 LAB Subs out of 10 sheets of 4'x8' 18mm Russian birch(exterior glue!). The baffle boards (16 pcs. out of 1 sheet to make 8 baffle boards) were from a sheet of 1/2".
That left NO room for error. You better have a good saw and a good plan ahead of time to do that. No big deal, it's all about the details. Just line the inside(21.0") panels to run the same (or similar angles) back to back when you lay them out in order of cut procession.

There will be some angles that will not work out but only on two panels. Cut them slightly long and repass them for the correct angle, no sweat.

The baffle boards were laminated together after routing 2 different size holes  to recess the 12" and one baffle dadoed into the module sides. Tricky cutting, but SO easy to assemble.
I also used speaker clamps to secure the 12's instead of tee nuts. Me and tee nuts don't get along well in cramped spaces, this I know to be true. I think peter Sylvester's plans show that.

Later,
Dan O:)

Sound Construction

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 09:33:35 PM »

thanks Dan O

5'x5' is all that is available in baltic around here. anybody got a cut sheet or experience with this size wood?

Timmahh

• http://www.chromepony.us
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 12:08:30 AM »

i got 5x5s for mine,  10 sheets for a pair.  been toying with the idea of useing the 5x5s for for the modules and braceing, then useing 4x8 9ply for the outters, maybe cut the cost a bit, but mainly a 4x8 would cut better for the outers i think.
10 sheets 5x5 russian baltic birch 13 ply caost roughly 350.00, in my local area i ran across reg birch 4x8 7 ply for 42. a pop. but i wouldnt use 7 ply. so i ll be looking for 9 plys and see what the price difference is.
anyone else use this setup
5x5 13 ply for modules. 9 ply for outer? how is the performance affected if at all. does the 9 ply hold up to the output well? any info would be good.
good sound n great bass.
cya
I had to do it cuz I'm Just like that!!!!!
Timmahh!!!

Sound Construction

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 02:11:29 AM »

ya i definately think you need the 13 ply in the module. i don't think the 9 ply will make much of a negative difference for the outers, especially if the finished boxes are closely coupled and not used as singles.

around here (canada, north of ND) the cost diffence using your theory would only be about $40/2 boxes. that is substituting 1 4x8 for 2 5x5 sheets for the large outers

i'll have to plot out some different versions using combinations of 5x5 and 4x8. if i get something that works i'll post it.

Timmahh

• http://www.chromepony.us
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2004, 06:19:22 PM »

yea, doing all modules and internal bracing out of 13ply, but instead of 9 ply for the outter, we ll be using 11ply 4x8 sheets. 11 is more than 9 so it MUST be better right? lolol
will be starting this week n posting pix as we go.
Timmahh
I had to do it cuz I'm Just like that!!!!!
Timmahh!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 20 queries.