ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: yet another newbie!  (Read 2430 times)

Hotrox

yet another newbie!
« on: May 13, 2004, 01:07:15 PM »

Hi... I'm a singer in a duo and we're looking to improve our lighting setup!

At the moment, we're running 8 par56s (300w) on 2 banks of 4, 4 smart moons, 2 scanner spots and 2 floor par56s. The smart moons are run sound to light with an on/off switch clipped to my mike stand, the par 56s on a floor switched controller with sound to light, blackout and flood functions. In addition, we use a fogger which has a foot switch. This means that I am permanently jumping around  with legs and arms flailing trying to create some semblance of a light show whilst singing! (the guitarist has enough pedals of his own to jump on!)

We use midi backing tracks and were considering the possibility of programming the lighting into the midi sequences. So far, I've gathered that I'd need to use a file player/sound module, a dimmer pack, and some kind of midi compatible desk. The hows and wherefores I haven't figured out yet! The more I seem to research the idea, the more confused I am becoming!

Could someone please explain the whole set up to me in 'blonde' language (I'm actually a brunette but feeling very blonde at the moment!)We currently programme our backing tracks using Cubase..... can the lighting be programmed using this? I also have cakewalk. How do you do it? When you've done it, what then? We also want to change the par56s for par64s as the 56s are a bit weak for bigger stages.... the worrying problem is that there are two different sizes... 500w and 1000w.... but won't these overload most club electrical circuits?
Ouch....... my brain hurts! Help!!!!!!

Michael Strickland

Re: yet another newbie!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 07:03:40 PM »

Instead of buying more gear, I'd hire in a guy to run the stuff.
Right now you're like a NASCAR driver without the pit crew.
"Can you turn the monitors down please, IT HURTS!" - M.I.A.

Brian Ship

Re: yet another newbie!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 08:07:39 PM »

I agree with the lighting person to do or at least help you with your wishes.  Not only will they be able to figure out and simplify your design intent than hopefully make it come true, but they will be able to add to it in hopefully making it better yet and make it electrically safe - given they are experienced with their profession which is also a grey area.

On the subject of PAR 64 fixtures replacing PAR 56 fixtures, yes there is an overloading your "cube" issue to look into, also that you don't need to change fixtures to up the output and wattage in that there are halogen PAR 56 lamps on the market which would save you money if your only goal is to up the wattage.  I don't expect that even if you have the power available, a 1,000w lamp would be very useful for other than a rock concert sized production - too bright in a club.  In other words, the PAR 56, re-lamped to a 500w would no doubt serve fine given it is UL listed for that wattage - another thing for the lighting tech to verify.

Otherwise if you can't get a electrician or lighting tech - stage or entertainment to help and at least advise, hopefully given your wish for a 500w lamp, others will be able to answer your power cube question.  Remember that a 500w lamp is now going to eat up 4.1666 amps of current as opposed to 2.5 amps of the 300w lamp.  This is very important to look at in powering up your system, cords feeding it and the capacity of the dimmers or switches controlling it all.  Chances are, yes you will have more light, but might not be able to power up as many fixtures per circuit.  An option might be to use the higher wattage lamps for the more saturated colored beams of light and the lesser wattage ones for the more amber or less saturated beams.  This will help in overall power consumption, but not much on an individual control circuit basis if it's limited in power.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 20 queries.