ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Edit function: Don't use back arrow + eager edit time stamp.  (Read 6024 times)

Ray Abbitt

Re: Edit function:
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2004, 11:23:22 PM »

Ernie wrote on Sat, 08 May 2004 17:34

Queue? What queue? Oh, you mean that backed-up list of to do items which, like a hydra, grows two more for each one done? Laughing (As you can see, my response here is quite late--I wonder if anyone will read this old thread now?
Oh, don't worry. Some of us are reading it all, no matter how old.
Quote:

That is a good idea; I'll look into it. I hate the wasted space but like the way the quotes are offset.
Yep. The quotes being offset that way is great. (Even if some people can't figure out how to do multiple quotes-guess it helps to know a little bit about html, but I did it on the old board too) But that extra blank line at the beginning.....well, it just offends my artistic sensibilities. (Besides, I try to keep things somewhat compact and it wastes screen space.)
Quote:

There's always something about these forums--whether ye olde wwwboard, phpBB, FUD, or any of the other flavors out there. Here, as in many forums, I typically prefer to open the reply form in a new window, then resize that window so that I can conveniently reference the post(s) I'm responding to whilst keeping my reply text box visible at all times. Scrolling up and down from reply box to reference post to reply box sucks (ok, there's my bitch about the new forums Twisted Evil ).
Actually I usually don't do it that way. I quote the entire message and read through it deleting what I don't care about and replying after each point. (Old habit from bbs and usenet.) Then when I'm all done I preview it, just to make sure I didn't do something stupid.

-ray

Ernie Black

• SR Forums
    • http://www.standingstone.com
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2004, 10:29:56 AM »

rabbitt wrote on Sat, 08 May 2004 23:23

Actually I usually don't do it that way. I quote the entire message and read through it deleting what I don't care about and replying after each point. (Old habit from bbs and usenet.) Then when I'm all done I preview it, just to make sure I didn't do something stupid.

Point. However, some posts are far too long to conveniently edit out the entire quoted passage for the bits that you want to preserve, and often there are multiple posts from different folks on the same topic which I want to conveniently reference. That's when the "open in new window" for reply is helpful (I don't bother with shorter posts). One thing I don't like about the way the quoting works is that you can't select (afaik) a chunk of the original post to respond to by highlighting that chunk and hitting qoute; quoting (by using the quote button) always grabs the entire post, forcing editing. (This may be the only feature of the AOL mail client which I really like: you highlight the text you want to quote, hit reply, and that text alone is copied into your reply email.)[/offtopic]

I often find it easiest (especially if responding to multiple points from either one or several related posts) to cut and paste the text in, then wrap it in FUD code quote tags ([ quote ]text here[ / quote ] (but omit the spaces).

Ernie Black, Code Warrior
ProSoundWeb Forums Webmaster

Michael Prasuhn

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2004, 02:42:22 PM »

Continuing off topic (this is the test forum afterall), you have reminded me of  one of my favorite features of Eudora. To quote any text, all you have to do is highlight it, copy it, and choose paste as quotation, or hit command-option-v, and it will paste the text from the clipboard as a quote, complete with the time, date and sender of the original message. The great part about it is, that you can copy from any message to any eudora document, either a new email or even a blank text document. Needless to say, this is invaluable when quoting multiple messages from a mailing list.

-Mikey P
Michael D. Prasuhn
Freelance audio engineer and technical director/IT
http://mikeyp.net
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.