ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: School light board  (Read 2671 times)

Will Sanders

School light board
« on: May 07, 2004, 04:03:31 pm »

Hi, I am the lighting director at my high school and I we need a new board.  The problem is budget.  I want a DMX console to control dimmers and moving lights and we can't spend more then about $1000.  The less the better.  Any suggestions as to what I should get?  Will be used for concerts, musical performances, etc.  Some live some preprogrmmed.  Thanks for your info.

Will Sanders

Adam Feldstain

• http://www.pro-opticlighting.com
Re: School light board
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 05:17:16 pm »

If you don't need to get too advanced (i.e. simply hitting cues or running a time code) I would suggest show designer by LSC and Elation Lighting It has 512 Palettes 1104 Scenes 512 Timed chases and 512 programs they call shows. It sells around the $799 mark. Its good for up to 16 Fixtures at 32 channels each.  So as long as you don’t have more then 16 fixtures that will do you fine. Keep in mind a Dimmer pack is only 1 Fixture and can run 6 or 8 or 12 or 16 PARS or more.

Its lower end but it will work with your budget.

index.php/fa/53/0/
Adam Feldstain
Pro-Optic Lighting
djallf AT djallf DOT com

Will Sanders

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 06:58:05 pm »

I searched for the elation LSC and found they have several other consoles.  Anyone have an opinion about the LSC Stage Q or Show Q.  They look like decent concoles.  Thanks for the input.  I will need to run cues with this board.

Will Sanders

The other Brian Miller

• http://members.aol.com/bmiller025/BrianDesign.htm
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 08:43:47 pm »

Another option for you would be the Horizon. It is a PC-based system, which makes it quite flexible, although the interface drives me crazy. The more expensive options for the horizon are quite satisfactory for intelligent fixtures as well. Its a very good, ground-up approach to the technology. Whenever I use one, I am immediately thinking of innovations in light board design - what would make using one a more positive experience. I am not at all familiar with the LSC, so I can't make any comparative suggestions. I recently managed the auditorium at a large high school, where there were close to 200 dimmers, and about 180 conventional fixtures. No intelligents yet... The system is quite practical for set-ups like that, and I have used the Horizon to operate intelligent fixtures elsewhere - nothing fancy, but certainly quite capable.

Good luck!

Mike Greene

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 07:19:33 pm »

I'm not sure of the current list price, but you could always look into the HogPC control system from FlyingPig. The PC software is based off of the WholeHogIII OS, and is free. You only need to purchase the USB widget to connect your DMX to your PC.
Mike

Nathan

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 08:00:35 am »

Try Zero88's Frog Range. Good Value For Money. If You Want A PC-Based Approach, Try www.dmxcreator.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.