ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Safety and Moving Heads  (Read 3653 times)

hernan

Safety and Moving Heads
« on: May 05, 2004, 01:10:16 PM »

I get the job done with scanners and par cans.

But someday i will have to invest in moving heads.

How do I safely get them in the air?
I am a 1 person soundco that provides lights as a service. I know I should just sub rent , and I do, but I wont always be able to.

Can I tripod mount them?

I recently saw a single piece of trussing with a  1000watt moving head on it. Is this a viable solution?

What is the limits of a one person team in creating a moving head show.

Rob Timmerman

Re: Safety and Moving Heads
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 01:26:31 PM »

What is the limits of a one person team in creating a moving head show?

Quite simply, the amount of time you have, and the weight of the instrument.  Many of the higher end moving head (and moving mirror) instruments are too heavy for one person to safely hang.  You can put them directly on the floor, though.

Nick S.

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 02:47:43 PM »

I have seen one DJ place his moving heads on top of his PA to get more elevation without needing truss...of course, sound quality wasn't an issue for that night.

Adam Feldstain

• http://www.pro-opticlighting.com
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 07:03:43 PM »

We have a bunch of Legend 250rx series moving heads for situations like yours they weigh about 50/60 pounds each. We put them on atop 6’ upright towers with a weighted footplate and head plate for mounting. You can simply lift the unit on top and screw it down. (Don’t forget to use safety cables even though the unit is not hanging it can still fall)

Another way we do it; if you want them in the air (presuming that by “air” you mean flying them from a rig) is to build the road case to transport them upside down and simply screw on the clamps and attach it to the bar before you raise it. (Again don’t forget safety cables)

index.php/fa/52/0/
Adam Feldstain
Pro-Optic Lighting
djallf AT djallf DOT com

Timoteus Ruotsalainen

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 01:14:45 AM »

That is a great idea. Never thought of it that way

--
Timoteus Ruotsalainen

Alex_C

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2004, 05:25:11 PM »

Quote:

I have seen one DJ place his moving heads on top of his PA to get more elevation without needing truss...of course, sound quality wasn't an issue for that night.

I really wouldn't recommend this practice. While it's an easy way of elevating the lights, moving heads are delicate things and vibration from the PA, especially with a bass-heavy system, will considerably shorten the life of both the lamp and the fixture.

Alex

lbrous

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2004, 10:10:45 PM »

If you are planning on moving into the Moving head side of things, then you are planning on spending some money. Thus, you should get a second person to help you set up the lights. The last thing you want to do is drop a $5000 light just by saving a few bucks for a helper.

Lyle

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 01:31:24 PM »

most of the bigger moving heads are going to be to heavy for you to safely lift them up in the air or carry them up a ladder.

most of your 250's and down put out a reasonable amount of light and are light enuff to carry up a ladder (altho i wouldnt take a 2500$ studiospot up a ladder - and i would kick someones ass if i saw them doing it)

if you have a basket lift or articulating truss system it would be pretty easy even for a 575+'s.

6-10' truss towers can be layed on the ground.. have a light attached and tilted to an upright position. altho for safety reasons i would recommend having a helper with you for something like this.

any sort of geni tower/lift is going to be heavy as hell and require two people to operate (one for each lift).. depending on your transportation - 2 lifts and a couple sections of truss might be the ultimate solution.

moving heads look *GREAT* on the stage.. you can even use their transport cases for elevation.

It all really boils down to what sort of shows your doing, what your lighting needs to accomplish, transportation capacity, and what your venue has for you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.