ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: E-snake What is up?  (Read 2960 times)

Mike Walker

E-snake What is up?
« on: May 04, 2004, 08:21:56 PM »

I have been reading about the whirlwind e-snake my church is needing 96 chans is it worth it?We are not using a digital board. what are the features. i know it has gain control. what about compression? Can it patch from one 32 set to another? how about other software for other options(FX,par EQs)?The laser dose it have reliability issues. is the fiber optic/ cat5 a beter option in a open enviorment(meaning shooting across the ceiling) what can cause problems? I know that haze and fog shouldn't but dose it?
Are there any non bias reviews online yet.
what do you need to go with the units?
do you order the cards separate.
COST WHAT IS THE COST PER UNIT?And the Transceivers?

I know I got alot of questions but I can't seem to find much info.

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
Re: E-snake What is up?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 08:45:15 PM »

Mikethesoundguy wrote on Tue, 04 May 2004 17:21

I have been reading about the whirlwind e-snake my church is needing 96 chans

NINETY SIX CHANNELS?

Jesus.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Mike Walker

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 12:13:55 AM »

We want to have multiple set ups and just patch them in. we were just looking at that number for future growth and that was a pre designed whirlwind custom snake we planned to instal prior to seeing the e-snake.the church down the road just did a install with 128 chans. for a A&H 5000 48 chan + 24chan expansion. When you run 2 or more different types of services that can be used up easy.

Ultimate_fish

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 10:36:17 AM »

128 channels   Shocked

We're doing well if we use 18 and that's with a full band!

Stuart Pendleton

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 10:46:50 AM »

Well UF, you are lucky.  We are a 5 piece and we use right at 24 without doing all the things we need to do. we have to use a separate sub mixer on stage just to get by.  Looking at changing from my Mixwiz FOH this year to either a GL2200-32 or a Venice 320.  Even that will get outgrown soon enough, but for the clubs we play, I can't really carry a LARGE format mixer so anything over 32 will never happen (but I wish it could.)

StuartP
I am the luckiest man in the world because I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world!!

This should have been my company's slogan:
"More bars in more places."  AT&T

Vince Byrne

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 11:40:05 AM »

Andy Peters wrote on Tue, 04 May 2004 19:45

Mikethesoundguy wrote on Tue, 04 May 2004 17:21

I have been reading about the whirlwind e-snake my church is needing 96 chans

NINETY SIX CHANNELS?

Jesus.

-a

If you haven't been there (and I'm nowhere near 96 channels), church channel counts can certainly seem absurd. But what would you do with the following signals - (BTW, I'm asking a serious question. Silver Spoon Praise Boys with no appreciation of the tools are rightly derided here, but they aren't steered toward practical, professional solutions very often either. Confused )

8 vocals
12 ch, drums and percussion
2 piano L/R
2 keys L/R
Guitarist 1
  1 e-guit
  1 a-guit
Guitarist 2
  1 e-guit
  1 a-guit
  1 steel guit
Guitarist 3
  1 a-guit
1 bass
1 harmonica
1 violin
1 sax
1 pastor
1 announcements/interview
6 WL drama

That's 42 signals before playback from DVD, VCR, CD, and cassette tape or 3 EFX returns or any "one-off" guest musicians. No choir. No orchestra. No big 20 speaking role musicals. No excessive stereo source count.

Of course not all signals are used on all songs, but all of channels shown would be used during a single service.

This is a pretty average week for us, we aren't permanently installed, and we aren't all that big. We set up in a high school in north Dallas each week, 1500 seats. Mons from FOH with wedges for the vocalists and phones and personal mixers for the musicians. Music heavy on contemporary praise, but ranging from gospel R&B to country to rock to solo piano (maybe all in the same service).

So take a practical stab, what would you advise me to do for FOH and cabling infrastructure?

Peace,
Vince

Nater

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 03:15:28 PM »

Mike W. wrote on Wed, 05 May 2004 05:13

We want to have multiple set ups and just patch them in. we were just looking at that number for future growth and that was a pre designed whirlwind custom snake we planned to instal prior to seeing the e-snake.the church down the road just did a install with 128 chans. for a A&H 5000 48 chan + 24chan expansion. When you run 2 or more different types of services that can be used up easy.

Dude has you church ever though that though the easy set up would be nice that some of that money could be spend to serve God. That was a comment sorry though i don't know about the e snake
Nater

Michael Prasuhn

Re: Politics/Religion out - professionalism in
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2004, 05:10:56 PM »

Guys/gals, LABsters, Lady's and germs,

Although it's fun to poke at any excessive need or apparent over usage of technology and all, it really doesn't contribute alot to the discussion here. Keep in mind we all come from different backgrounds here, and for everything that I do that you may find excessive, there is most likely something you do that I would find excessive.

Not that this thread is headed there, but lets keep in mind happens when we brings religion and politics to the LAB.

On the other hand, here is a link to some solid info the e-snake, some of it directly from a Whirlwind rep. Read up, and enjoy.

-Mikey P
Michael D. Prasuhn
Freelance audio engineer and technical director/IT
http://mikeyp.net

Dave Dermont

• http://www.geocities.com/livesound101/
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2004, 12:04:15 AM »

To prevent this topic from deteriorating to a religious/political debate, I have locked it to prevent any more replies.

The link above provides good info on the E-snake, the purpose of the original inquiry.

Thanks to everyone
Dave Dermont - Chief Lizard, LAB Lounge

WARNING: Dates In Calendar May Be Closer Than They Appear
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 16 queries.