ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fatten up live backup vocals  (Read 9364 times)

Chris Hindle

Re: Fatten up live backup vocals
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2004, 12:23:49 PM »

"Sounds" to me that you're slamming the compressor, and it's squashing the shi$ out of your "Hey". Change the ratio, change the threshold, pull the plug. Change something.
Chris.
"Ya, whatever. Just stick a '57 on it, and get off the stage"
Chris.

Rich Grisier

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2004, 12:30:37 PM »

Bill Horn wrote on Tue, 04 May 2004 11:43

Here's how we do it in our band. To pull this trick off you need:
1. A keyboard player (that's me).
2. A vocal harmonizer like a Digitech Vocalist or TC Helicon Quintet or Voiceworks.

There we go!  Good advice there.
Unfortunately we don't have a keyboard player nor a vocal processor.

However-- I do have a Midi Guitar rig.  I'm sure I could manage to do something with that.

Now, the tough part will be convince the other band members to give a vocal processor a try.  This will be like trying to convice three drivers we need to stop and ask for directions.

Rich Grisier

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2004, 12:35:38 PM »

Chris Hindle wrote on Tue, 04 May 2004 12:23

"Sounds" to me that you're slamming the compressor, and it's squashing the shi$ out of your "Hey". Change the ratio, change the threshold, pull the plug. Change something.
Chris.

No compression being used... other than to protect FOH, but I don't think we're near that threshold.

Maybe that's part of the problem?  Maybe some comp is needed to keep things even.

David Bedrack

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2004, 03:57:38 PM »

Hmmmm.....for THAT effect???...... a compressor maybe, with negative compression run in parallel to the source? or some gated or reverse reverb? This thing goes up in intensity and then cuts off abruptly, like they did in 70's drums. I tried this here and there with vocals and the effect was quite dramatic, like "percussive vox".... Needs a fair amount of tweaking to get the right dose.

If the problem is still  with the source sounding thin, as  several fine gentlemen already pointed out, then do some rehearsals and observe proper mike techniques. Get some  good sounding vox before plugging the gadgets.
D.

Bill Horn

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2004, 05:23:35 PM »

Hey Rich G.-

If you don't have a keyboard player, there are some four and five part doubling programs on our harmonizer...a Digitech Vocalist VR. If you're interested, I'll run through them next gig...tomorrow night. If they work, you won't have to MIDI it to anything...just bring up the program.

For stadium-sized shouts, I'm pretty sure this is the effect you're looking for. It works for us. It's huge, always reliable, and doesn't require fine-tune tweaking. I guess it's a matter of...do you want to spend $300 to get the sound?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.