ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: LAB Sub sounds great  (Read 13231 times)

Al Limberg

Re: Al's boxes
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2004, 11:04:30 AM »

No, you're right about that!!  Shocked  The M4 is really expensive right up till you compare what it takes to replace it.  On the other hand, in anything less than outdoor or large theatre/arena use it might be considered 'overkill'.  I am most fortunate that mine were purchase in about 1981!!  

Al
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside - Robert X. Cringely

andreas

Re: Al's boxes
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2004, 02:15:39 PM »

Hi Al

Year i saw a figure just on the good side of 1500$, thats not really equal to giving it away i might say Shocked. An yes again overkill a 40 sqm living room, unless one desires to be utterly hearing impaired.

cheers
andreas

andreas

Re: Al's system
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2004, 02:12:41 PM »

Hi Al

Is there any chamber in front of the speaker before the horn starts. Or is it as I suspect, a 3 ft^3 closed chamber behind the speaker unit and the unit mounted directly to the baffle, thus having a negligible front volume ?

cheers
andreas

Al Limberg

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2004, 02:31:20 PM »

You.ve got it pictured right.  The Boxer fibreglass horn, when placed face down outwide of the box, brings to mind Three Mile Island and similar nuclear power plants here in the states  Shocked.  The rear chamber is actually made as small as possible by building in a 'floor' and 'ceiling' under and above the frames of the lower and upper 15s.  

Al
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside - Robert X. Cringely

RobertOziemkowski

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2004, 03:13:02 PM »

Al Limberg wrote on Sat, 08 May 2004 16:41

Hi Andreas,
My lo-mid boxes are not totally home-brewed.  As a Community dealer back in the 70s and 80s, I purchased 6 horn flares that they called 'Boxers'.  The were based on the premeise that they provided the fibreglass flare and the box plans and we provided the box and labor to build them.  The original cabinet was designed as a rectangular ported low end cabinet using your choice of either 2 15s or 2 18s. It was 60"h x 30"w x 45" d.  As life works out sometimes, they just never got built.  I originally purchased the Bowers on about 1982 and when I closed my retail store in 1989, they followed me home. I moved them from location to location over the next 13 years until the summer of 2002 when it became apparent, with the birth of the LabSub project, that I would need a source to bridge the gap between the subs and my M4 midrange units.  I dug a Boxer flare out of my garage and took it out to Too Tall's shop and started messing with the idea of using it for a low mid.  A little playing around showed that the flare would fit (barely) in to a cabinet with the sme footprint as I had made for my M4/s90 2" combos.  With some help from a couple much more knowledgeable speaker-designer types from here, I proceeded to build the boxes and load them with some JBL 15s that were available for just over 'free' at their tent sale.  Thru the input of the folks here and some just plain good luck I suspect, they turned out very usable - we aimed for a solid response from 80-300hz and Praxis tells us we managed to get exceptional results from about 75 to 1200 with the low end EQ-able down to 40 if necessary. (As a matter of fact, I used the boxes as my low end until the Lab 12 drivers became available.
While I don't know where one would find additional Boxer flares, for what it's worth, the depth of the 'horn' is 36" from front lip to baffle and 45" is th eoverall depth of the box.  It is unported but still stands 49 1/2" tall and 30" wide.  The actual holes in the speaker baffle are 13" in diameter with the speaker chamber somewhat less tha 3 cubic feet.  I used JBL 2035H drivers.

Al

BOXERS???

Thats too funny!

A friend had 4-18 Fostex speakers loaded in Boxers at a club(800cap, 25+' ceiling) he worked. I remeber busting him about not hearing the lows(woof) enough, so he made me stand there until I thought my chest would cave. As you said, not super sub freqs but clean and efficient.

He talked me into working the next day but neither of us were prepared for all the ceiling tiles lying on the floor!

OOPS!

Great idea to use them for sub-top fill. Another friend has(had?) 4. I wonder.........

Robert

andreas

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2004, 03:17:19 PM »

WOW Shocked Nuclear Speakers, might have to aquire that internet domain. I wonder how a similar homebrewed horn fitted with a single jbl 2226 (18") or 2245 (18") would perform. The difficult thing here would be to build the dam nuclear "cooling towers".

cheers
andreas

Bogdan Popescu

Re: LAB Sub sounds great
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2004, 02:54:12 PM »

Hi,

How many boxers for one LAB, and how do you stack them ?
The boxer's are wider than the LAB...

Thanx,
Bogdan Rolling Eyes

Al Limberg

Re: LAB Sub sounds great
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2004, 03:43:32 PM »

Since I typically only use the Lab/Boxer/M4 set up in outdoor or very large applications, I have been able to use the subs in a center cluster with the Boxer/M4 stacks flanking the stage each time I 've used it.  I expect if I find myself in a situation where I can't put the Labs in the middle, I'll just stack them beside the Boxer stacks.  The Boxer/M4/s90 combination is already about 94" tall so addtional height isn't a major concern.

Al
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 20 queries.