ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lighting a writer  (Read 2954 times)

hernan

Lighting a writer
« on: April 30, 2004, 06:36:35 PM »

I have a gig lighting a writers conferance.

There will only be one reader on stage at any time.

The lighting cannot upstage the reading.

A lush atmosphere would be nice.

I was thinking Dark Blue light on a  biege wall paper background, gold uplight 'Columns'  with a ellipsoidal white down light on the face.

I know this is basic but I really want to nail this.

Should I put something on stage that motivates the light and balances the picture. A  standing shaded lamp for instance?

Brian Ship

Re: Lighting a writer
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 03:19:02 AM »

Installation of a shaded lamp upstage to motivate the light is more a question of stage design than lighting design as it's creating setting thus motivation.

As a given you can't have lighting upstage, also you will have one person as talent on stage.  You also have a wall paper background which forms your world so far.

In my opinion, providing a motivation for effect is not necessary yet nor at all.  Your goal is to provide illumination to the talent, in this case also provide lighting to their script as it were as necessary - podium, than provide as you surmise something with a lush atmosphere.  The world such as the wall paper backwall you mention to which this confrence provides can be either incorporated or not in providing the lush atmosphere of your stated design.   It might also depend - this wall paper, upon the intent of the speaker's images meant to convey.

If it's any help, seperate your lighting into two goals.  First provide illumination to the speaker, than worry about the speaker's world they exist in as it in a secondary role fills the design concept of the talent's subject.

Rob Timmerman

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 08:58:28 PM »

And don't forget to provide the lighting FOR the reader, in some form.  A high backlight plus a couple instruments about 50 degrees vertically and perhaps 60 degrees apart would be my choice for lighting the reader.  

Nick S.

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 04:53:25 PM »

It's perhaps also worth giving the writer a wide boundary to be in...some people have tremendous difficulty telling whether they're in the light when they're on stage (particularly, I've found, writers). This can be especially noticeable if a writer likes to walk around / be a bit active...

hernan

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 01:03:47 PM »

Wow this was really comprehensive input!

I am indebted to everyone that took the time to construct such helpful replies.  

Thank you!
Hernan

disc2slick

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 04:29:07 PM »

I'd have to agree strongly with the idea of using backlight.  It will provide light for the reader to read with, also it gives a dominant air to what it is focused on.  Of course you'd still need front and side lighting so the audience can pick out his/her face

-dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.