ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Socopex  (Read 5202 times)

Adam Feldstain

• http://www.pro-opticlighting.com
Socopex
« on: May 05, 2004, 10:04:45 AM »

I would like to switch from my current NSI 6 channel dimmer rack to something like socopex. Any recommendations. Also where can I find out more about procedures and installation?
Adam Feldstain
Pro-Optic Lighting
djallf AT djallf DOT com

Nick S.

Re: Socopex
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 02:51:00 PM »

I've used Socapex with Strand Dig6 dimmers - I havn't had too many problems, although several drawbacks spring to mind. It can be very difficult to join a socapex cable together in the dark. If this isn't a problem, then they're a good way of reducing the amount of cable. Since I've only ever used Socapex with hire equipment I don't know much about pricing and recommended equipment.

Brian Ship

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 09:31:25 PM »

Should be simple enough given you have room to mount the outlet on the rear of the dimmer.  Could be as simple as if you have a Duplex Edison receptacle on the back of the pack, using the second screw to wire the Socopex panel mount, or a little more complex in using a splice that is rated for the application and vibrations of travel - no wire nuts.

As for the panel mount brand, one is much like another in this case, I would go with what is cheapest between Link, ProPin, Veam VSC, Socopex, Lex, Kupo and who ever else is selling them.  Just a question of solder type pins verses crimp types.  Crimp pins are better but unless you invest in the very expensive special crimp tools, plus insertion/extraction tools than a solder type panel mount receptacles will be cheaper.  Make sure you know which type of pin is provided with the plug because while you can solder a crimp pin if you need to, you can’t crimp much less a solder pin often on some brands.  In soldering, you must ensure your iron gets up to 800

Patrick Scott

• http://www.auvitec.ca
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 04:09:47 PM »

if you need some hands on help I'm in Montreal also & can give youn a hand & recommendations on where you could buy or have them made for ya

Patrick Scott

Jeremy

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 05:11:08 PM »

FYI if you change anything in will void the UL listing. This may not matter much for you, but at SeaWorld they like everything to have a UL label.

Jeremy Gates
SeaWorld Orlando

Brian Ship

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 11:56:23 PM »

And a very good point at that.  

Not only void the warranty and UL listing, but also possibly void any insurance coverage your insurance company will be responsible for should there be a problem.  I some times take it for granted my special powers much less responsibilities in as it were to modify equipment. Thanks.  

Think we have something like two million dollars in direct coverage including specifically on such equipment we are now responsible for re-engineering or modifying as the manufacturer no longer is, and I'm one of about three people authorized to modify or directly supervise similar equipment in being modified or made amongst about 50 electricians who might wish to do so specific to the insurance coverage.

Having the dimmers modified for you by an alternative source even if simple to do, or better yet sending them back to the manufacturer to modify them for you might be a better solution as Jeremy is very right in implying given it's worth the effort in doing at all.  Sorry but before you attempt to modify listed equipment, it's smart to ask the management especially the business manager that is charged with keeping the place insured for permission.  Such companies you send the dimmers to are than responsible for any problems that doing this might include verses what you are authorized to do.  They also would be better able to install the pins in the plug safely given experience and tools necessary.  Not just the price of the plug but the price of the training and tools which factor in.  

Should take an hour to an hour and a half per pack if they know what they are doing.  Given a economical panel mount that should be about $150 to $200.00 per pack given it's a simple tap off the Edisons and the dimmers have sufficient room to install the panel mount.  On man-hours and materials if you can find such a price or close to it than it might be more cost effective anyway than you attempting it in man-hours and materials - all materials necessary for the project.

Hope it helps, advice only I don't want your sale.

Adam Feldstain

• http://www.pro-opticlighting.com
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 12:12:53 PM »

Thanks Patrick

When It comes time I might take you up one that. Smile

Thanks to everyone else.

Adam Feldstain
Pro-Optic Lighting
djallf AT djallf DOT com

Patrick Scott

• http://www.auvitec.ca
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2004, 11:03:55 AM »

if your snide remarks are aimed at me

you should redirect your fire, you way off base

snip
Hope it helps, advice only I don't want your sale.

if not, then I apologize & will get the chip of  my shoulder, increase lithium doses & go about my merry day.

but if they are... then my friend, rethink your position & quit with the pot shots

Implying on this community that I was looking for an easy sale is quite frankly... just plain wrong.  If I wanted to get a free shot at his wallet I could of easily contacted him of board & no one but him would of ever known.  I don't know how you do business but...

I do not operate that way, my company doesn't,t operate that way either, never have , never will & I'm am quite familiar with the politics of not conducting or offering/soliciting business...etc  of the LAB & other PSW related sites.

since most of the legal & safety issues had been already addressed I felt no further input was needed on that particular direction & offered some in-person help, since he mentioned that he was in Montreal in his query, I offered some in person help as many other on the LAB over the years have & not got shot at

P.s.
Frank Arsenault & Chris Hindle, who are also fellow Montrealers, that I know of that participate regularly on the LAB sites

Frank I know fairly well & Mr. Hindle I have yet the pleasure of meeting him but..

so far they haven't chimed in yet or have yet inclined they have the time or want to offer some help. <this was a legit offer, no strings attached.

off the soap box & back to the regulalrly scheduled Kaia

Patrick Scott

long winded version continued
if bored go to the end

as technology & the economy forces more people to work/interact with & threw machines , we tend to forget the hands on, up-close & personal approach to help & service,

not just making anonymous impersonal suggestions threw a terminal, a few or several thousand miles away, hoping it works, at the best without actually seeing his particular product & getting straight from the horses mouth, so to speak, it's still, just an educated guess. Period.

figuring out were he wants to go with this project & possibly address or ask some questions that weren't asked or covered in this short thread but could come out during our discussions.

Ok fine! I don't have the luxury of working with all latest & greatest gear & models out there & know every little detail about every serial number & spec about everything. I prefer getting straight to the point/heart of the matter, my late old man taught me (shit or get of the pot) a motto that I try live too, sums it up quite nicely

this guy needed help & had questions about socs, all I  offered him was to give me a buzz & swing on by, so I could take some time to explain his options once I've looked over what he already has & what available out there so he could be better informed & have the tools to make educated decisions about his potential future purchase, regardless of where he actually gets it

If I had a nickle for every free phone call troubleshoot & "what do you think abouts, or how do you fix/operate/use etc......) I deal with over the phone on a daily basis. I could easily pay my mortgage.

I'm not no newbie, I've been doing this professionally (as main income) for more years than the legal drinking age in most countries & our companies is one of the oldest in our area & still kicking going on more than 35 years... Me & my companies reputation is very well respected in our area, with a good reason, we might not have the best or most gear out there but who do have good service & actually make & have time for the client questions.

we,re not a big shop only 3 including the owner but we take the time to talk to people & free advice is free advice.

off the soap box again & back to the regularly scheduled kaos

Patrick Scott

Brian Ship

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2004, 04:26:51 PM »

I apologize if my ending comment was taken as a snide remark or statement.  You had nothing to do with my reply.  Instead off a few postings of late people have contacted me to do the actual work and my end comment was more meant to save time in that I won’t and as a statement or clarification in general of my intent to help but not wish to make a sale just as your own.  In my case, I prefer direct E-Mail or chatting in the off time if more help is requested because my work load is constantly busy and in my own case I don’t usually have much time to help people on the live that are not direct clients.  That’s not saying anything bad or about your intent or company, since your offer is to help people on the phone, and they are local, that is a great service you are doing for him.  This was not well stated on my part.  I did not mean for it to be interpreted in the way in which you read it.

As for large or small companies, new or old gear, does not apply either.  In the end it’s a wire inside of a plug.  Sure I have ready access to part numbers, different brands etc.  Big deal, it’s still wires in pins and getting the job done.  I have the part number to a pneumatic crimp tool for this also.  Were this person doing a few hundred cables such a tool would be a good idea.  Since that is not the intent it was not given.  Only relevant information on options brands etc was given and in a balanced way.  My own posting of part numbers and options etc is also meant to help in getting an idea that there are many options and things to look into.  A difference in style perhaps in that my intent was to post that info here and your’s was more a direct contact type of passing on the information.

Finally, ...good service, actually making and having time for client questions, that’s no doubt the intent anywhere you go.  Sure some of the larger companies might seem at times not to care, and frequently there is noted lack of caring with some especially with smaller clients.  But customer service is our industry and on a one to one basis it’s tech people no matter where they work helping people.  What size a place you work for does not matter as the intent of the tech people is the same.  

When I deal with “clients” I also give as good advice and demonstrations as possible up to and including at times showing them how to wire a Socopex plug and even loaning them the tools for a day as needed.  I have even gone to the extent of  loaning out and installing my own personal lighting equipment when on a holiday and Sunday morning that rental had a problem with the gear he rented which turned out to be his own fault.  The customer called me by way of the business card I gave him when he picked up the gear I solved the problem as the intent of call me would entail.  This was not even my client as it were, I just prepped his gear and showed him how to use it.  After that show I gave him a few pages of requested and highly detailed notes on how to improve the design of  his production in set and lights all in my off time.   When it came time to do the actual show that next year, his budget was not high enough to hire labor by way of the company nor me to do the install even if I did side jobs but I did give him some sources in tech people that would do the job for him outside of the company.  I could not be more fair in that both in offering free advice on design and finding him labor within his budget.

This would be normal for me also as I would expect of you or any tech person.  Last week I got back some lamps I loaned to a small time purchasing customer.  Size of the purchase does not matter it’s still going to require help and service.  Frequently the smaller orders will take a bit more time in that they more need my expertise in recommending a product than someone purchasing on a larger scale that has more experience in general.  In the end the size of the order does not matter, it’s still a question of helping them no matter how much help they need.  This customer  needed cyc light lamps to test and see what would be best in her fixtures to see what would work best for her needs.  I could have just told her what to use as it was what she ended up with anyway, even gone on site to look at it than told her the same, instead I took some brand new lamps in differing wattages out of stock so she could try them and look at the output herself over a period of time.  These were brand new lamps I wrote off of the new lamp inventory.  I would not do this with everyone but as the situation requires such a thing I as a tech person will do what’s needed to help best as would almost any tech person - profit aside.

There is a difference in intent however between customer service and me keeping what I do in my off time separate from what I do at work for those I help on-line.  I don’t mix the two and for that reason I would rather not be called during working hours.  Those I help on line are not my customers, instead I prefer to offer a lot of choices in getting service and product.  Should they become my customer even after that, I give the order to a sales person and keep the business part off the advice part.  That’s again me and nothing about your company or it’s size.  I had spent many years with a theater on so small a budget that if a lamp went out at the beginning of the season, it was very possible that it would not be in service for the rest of the season.  In other words, what I do in my off time takes the form of advice as such a person in shopping around for the best price.  That’s as opposed to clients that are already coming to me where I will if possible give the best price on gear I can, subject to management mandated pricing.  What I do for prices is directly opposed to what other companies offer for them skill level and help aside.  I as a customer price things out and I expect my customers to either take the prices and support I give and either accept them or do their own pricing.  Frequently they do price things out with other sources even after I have done the leg work on the order.  There is no hard feelings just business.  In that way, me helping people on-line cannot or should not be linked to work, it would not be fair to either the perspective customer or place I work.  You would not expect me to recommend other sources to shop at during company time unless it’s a service and given the customer cannot afford my product.  Instead I just keep such things separate.

Off my soap box also.  My intent was not to say anything like what you thought and I’m sure you can see that my intent is very much like yours except in the detail of how far I can or will go to help someone during working hours without a conflict of interest.
Brian Shipinski
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.