ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Matching speakers and amps  (Read 4781 times)

dcampaudio

Matching speakers and amps
« on: April 26, 2004, 11:36:47 PM »

I recently bought 2 Soundtech KS56C loudspeakers and a Crate PCM 8 powered mixer for a rehearsal space vocal PA.  The speakers are 3 way with a 15", 6" and tweet.  They are rated at 490/980 watts (RMS/program) and are 8ohm cabinets.  The mixer that I bought (included with the speakers) is a Crate 8 channel mixer with a mono 350 watt amplifier.  It can be run at 350 watts into 2 ohms or 250 watts into 4 ohms.  These components are not ideal together.  The amp doesn't have enough power to drive the speakers.  I would like to find a new powered mixer that would be better suited to work with my speakers.  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  I only paid $200 for the amp and speakers so I think I can do some trading to get the right combination.  As for the application:  we are a 3 piece rock band (loud) that rehearse in a small room and need to have the vocals compete with the drums, bass and guitar.  Thank you in advance for any help or insight.

Joey Breaux

Re: Matching speakers and amps
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 10:59:41 AM »

You could keep the mixer and just not use the power section. On the cheap, a QSC 1850HD power amp would be sufficient if ran bridged.

Joey

Henry Denman

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 03:01:14 PM »

Check out the study hall.  Has some great info about this subject.  

http://www.prosoundweb.com/studyhall/

Henry Denman

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 03:18:36 PM »

I was trying to post some place else and ended up with a double.  hmmm...that sucks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 17 queries.