ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small rant about people being there for you  (Read 2587 times)

James de la Cruz

Small rant about people being there for you
« on: April 26, 2004, 05:26:24 pm »

Happy Monday Everyone,

I have a little situation this weekend.  I have to do a family gig (dance competition) out of town in Sedona (I'm in AZ), and I have a DJ rental at a club in Phoenix.  He needs a small PA (2 tops, 2 subs, amps and crossover) and contracted me for the next three weeks.  Just had first week on Saturday everything was cool.  

Anyway I have been helping this band out with gear and helping them set up for gigs, somtimes last minute, for barely decent money for about a month now (I've known band leader for 6 years though).  And they always say, "If you help us out, we will help you out just let us know".  So I have run out of options about who I can call to help me out.  I call the drummer of the band (the band leader's son) and ask if he could help me by dropping off the gear and setting it up, checking the system and tear down when it is over.

Right off the bat I get "I don't if I can do it, I don't feel comfortable setting up that kind of stuff".  Now he sets up their band's PA when I can't help them so it is not unfamiliar to him.  Their PA is really simple 2 Peavey SP-4X and 2 sidefills and a floor wedge.  I tell him that I will go over it as many time as he wants until he is comfortable and label all cables.  I still get the same excuse.  

It just gets to me that I bend over backwards to help these guys becuase I want to see them succeed and grow and the one time, ONE TIME I need a little help I get excuses.  Don't tell me you can help over and over and then don't help me when I need it.  I guess a six year relationship doesn't mean squat in this business.  

Sorry my rant is so long.

James d.    

Baron Gray

Re: Small rant about people being there for you
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 09:54:02 pm »

Generally the following rules apply:

Cash up front.
No friends in business.
Mates rates are usually dearer in the long run.
You can't bank "We owe you one"

And last but not least

Never trust a drummer!

Baron
See, you can't rewrite, 'cause to rewrite is to deceive and lie, and you betray your own thoughts. To rethink the flow and the rhythm, the tumbling out of the words, is a betrayal, and it's a sin, Martin, it's a sin.

Hank from the 'Naked Lunch'

Ultimate_fish

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 05:34:07 am »

I'll second that... and I'm a drummer

Nick S.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 08:52:16 am »

Baron wrote on Tue, 27 April 2004 02:54

And last but not least

Never trust a drummer!

They're always spontaniously combusting halfway through gigs Smile

Tough break - I've had the same kind of thing happen to myself...

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 01:15:28 pm »

James d. wrote on Mon, 26 April 2004 14:26

Anyway I have been helping this band out with gear and helping them set up for gigs, somtimes last minute, for barely decent money for about a month now (I've known band leader for 6 years though).  And they always say, "If you help us out, we will help you out just let us know".  So I have run out of options about who I can call to help me out.  I call the drummer of the band (the band leader's son) and ask if he could help me by dropping off the gear and setting it up, checking the system and tear down when it is over.

Right off the bat I get "I don't if I can do it, I don't feel comfortable setting up that kind of stuff".  Now he sets up their band's PA when I can't help them so it is not unfamiliar to him.  Their PA is really simple 2 Peavey SP-4X and 2 sidefills and a floor wedge.  I tell him that I will go over it as many time as he wants until he is comfortable and label all cables.  I still get the same excuse.  

It just gets to me that I bend over backwards to help these guys becuase I want to see them succeed and grow and the one time, ONE TIME I need a little help I get excuses.  Don't tell me you can help over and over and then don't help me when I need it.  I guess a six year relationship doesn't mean squat in this business.

The solution? Simple.  Next time the band calls, charge them REAL money -- like, what the gig is actually worth.  Explain that you cannot give away your services any more.  (Don't mention the drummer thing.)  They can choose not to use your services, to which I say, Good! Pay me what I'm worth.  Or, they can agree and pay your new rate.  In cash.  Up front.

--a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

drumguy

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 06:18:33 pm »

They are tellin the exact truth, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER trust a drummer.
Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 18 queries.